Circumcision and human rights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do they get this barbaric act past the human rights legislation?

If I were to cut my babies ear lobes off as a fashion statement then I'd be jailed. So why is it allowed?

joe

Sponsored Links
not sure if you are referring to male or female...

there are times when male circumcision is required for medical reasons.

I am opposed to routine mutilation though. (male and female)

I admit I am ignorant of the reasons why this is done ( apart from tight foreskin) so would be interested to hear the pro argument.

well joe

What you've never had....you'll never miss ;) :eek:

but seriously, my lad had to have the op at age 7, cos he was having a problem going......heaven forbid he sues me for infringing his "human rights"....

goodness me.. that was nothing seedy. I said f o r e s ki n.
in a legimate context.

Sponsored Links
yes!! and the asterix dont equate to the word!!!

I dont know of any medical reason why females should be circumcised.

My personal opinion is that males should only have it done on medical grounds.

toffee said:
yes!! and the asterix dont equate to the word!!!
asterix.jpg
:?: :?: :?:

I jest, of course - we knew what you meant!

toffee said:
My personal opinion is that males should only have it done on medical grounds.

Yes I agree it should be on medical grounds. Much more hygenic than on a school playing field, for example!

seriously... why is it done outside of acute medical need? or rather.. how is it justified?

Don't know why Jews do it, but I guess its some 'clean' thing. In America, about 85% or so of new-born baby boys of all faiths are circumcised, because perceived wisdom over there says it is more hygienic.

I think female circumcision is largely a Sub-Saharan African thing, and I think it is to do with ensuring a lack of sexual pleasure, but I could be wrong....

Actually, I've just remembered something. I know a Scottish girl who now lives in America with her (American) husband - He insisted that they had their son circumcised so that he wouldn't be confused by looking different to Daddy when he started to teach him how to go to the toilet.

And it cost $600 to have done :eek: :eek:

johnny_t said:
Don't know why Jews do it,

Many moons ago, when I was an apprentice, my boss was Jewish. He told me that Jews have to go to their graves as God sent them into the world.
"Really?", I said, "So why do you chop off your four skins?"

I didn't get an answer....... :LOL:

I wasn't refering to the practice for medical reasons or female circumcision. But just how do they get away with it under Human Rights legislation for non-medical reasons?

joe

Sponsored Links
Back