The human rights act...

Oh how I agree with you Space cat. I know employers tell lies (or perhaps they are just being "economical" with the truth??) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
John, 'Immediate and certain' has nothing to do with deterrent working or failing.

Deterrent does not depend on getting nicked in 15 minutes or twenty days.

Surely you're not suggesting it does.????

Of course it does.

I am stunned that you think it doesn't.

I can't believe you are saying that.

Look, if one street was painted blue and had signs warning of immediate fines of 20p and 50p tow-away cost to the driver, people would still park there.

If the adjacent street was painted red and warned of amputation of limbs and imprisonment of your entire family, they would give it a miss.

Nothing to do with when it was carried out.

Severity has EVERYTHING to do with it.

what is the maximum penalty for smoking?

do people still do it?

Sponsored Links
'mmmm, so you want to avoid that question.

Just because a horrible, painful, lingering death is not much of a worry when it might not happen for 40 years.

Not avoiding anything.

Lets move on to the human rights of paedophiles convicted of passing an innocent child from nonce to nonce.

And we wonder where it all went wrong. People need to wake up.

The softly softly approach doesn't work.
And it certainly has f*ck all to do with 'immediate and certain' ;)

you are avoiding the aspect of how to influence people's behaviour.

Which is the whole point.

Your way doesn't work john. Simple as that.

Put me in charge of the judicial system. Prisons would be empty.

Do you think that places with Capital Punishment for murder have more, or fewer, murders than places without?

Pray tell us John, how we can influence people's behaviour, to the extent they won't murder, rape, abuse children? (far bigger crimes than parking on the double yellows) ;) ;) PS, at least with capital punishment, the crim has very little chance of re-offending)

Do you think that places with Capital Punishment for murder have more, or fewer, murders than places without?

It simply can't be calculated.

The usual b*llocks you hear is the... 'it hasn't worked in America' nonsense.

Truth is, how do we know what the murder rate would be without capital punishment in place. Mayhem probably.

Behavioural science is a complex subject.

But one thing that it has established, is that severity of punishment has little deterrent effect, and that consequences have to be certain, immediate and personal to achieve maximum effect.

However this contradicts the assumptions of some people who find themselves unable to deal with it.

But one thing that it has established, is that severity of punishment has little deterrent effect, and that consequences have to be certain, immediate and personal to achieve maximum effect.

Evidence?

Sponsored Links
Back