Cistern Inlet pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have replaced cistern and have minor leak at inlet pipe. It is at the nut next below the actual cistern nut, .i.e. the next nut after the one on the cistern itself.
I am thinking new washer - does anyone have any thoughts. Particularly any that avoid me disconnecting the cistern again.
Thanks.
Incidentally I am trying to stop Roca cistern link which seems quite common..............

Sponsored Links
If the inlet pipe is a typical copper tap connector, there's a fibre washer in there that needs renewing.....if its a flexy pipe, there's washers too - but they are thin flat rubber this time.
If the fill valve is nylon, don't overdo the tightening!
John :)

Thanks John,
It is a typical copper tap connector - I will renew washer.
The fill valve is what I am connecting to the inlet pipe I assume - this is nylon.
Will overtightening ruin the thread and hence create a leak? I must admit I am finding it tempting to keep applying the pressure!
I am not a plumber by trade as you can see.......
Paul

The problem with the plastic stuff is actually cross threading, rather than over tightening....Fluidmaster do a Pro fill valve with a brass thread which is good and prevents such nasties.
You may like to smear some sealant around the new washer, but don't let this be pushed deep into the valve.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. I am tempted to get that fill valve - saw it on web. One thing puzzles me is why brass seems to be no more expensive than plastic.
Many thanks for the advice. More impressed by you than I am by Roca!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back