Cistern over flowing to pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My toilet is currently overflowing after every flush. Have to flush few times and at times just doesn't stop!

At present have turned mains water off to stop the flowing.

Any ideas what I need to do to stop this?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230115_131157.jpg
    20230115_131157.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230115_131148.jpg
    20230115_131148.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
I've come across this problem a few times.

Could be debris/grit in either the top of the filler (bit on the left) or at the bottom of the flusher mechanism.

This is what I did.

Turn water off, flush the loo.

In your first photo, you can see the cap (on the left hand side 'Filler') under which is a silicon diaphragm, this may contain debris that stops the valve shutting off the water. You might be able to prise the cap off or twist anti clockwise, hold the bottom section still though.
If you can see the diaphragm is clean stick it back together, if not, flush with a cup of water.

Turn water on, but get an assistant to make sure the cap doesn't ping off... or put the lid on the cistern.

That might fix, if not, check the flusher mechanism (chrome button on top), it should be able to be removed, usually anti clockwise twist.

Look for old loo blocks/crud blocking the diaphragm in this until, if it's blocked it will let water into the pan constantly.

Sorry it's a bit long!

good luck.

(y)

I did replace the diaphragm few weeks ago, thanks for the above pointers, I will have look tonight

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back