Cistern problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what would cause the water to continue to run from the cistern into the toilet pan.
Was asked by a friend if I knew anything, unfortunately plumbing is not my strongest point!
I've attached a couple of pictures hoping someone can advise.
Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
At the bottom of the flush valve is a rubber washer, these can become damaged or not close properly through grit / dirt. First check the water level in the cistern isn`t too high, the flush valve has an internal overflow.

Is the thin grey flexi pipe on right of pic. holding the float valve open ?

Two possibilities:

1. The inlet valve is not shutting off properly and water is spilling down the internal overflow.
2. As just pumps states, the washer at the base of the flush valve is worn and / or not seating properly.

For 1., see where the overflow point is. If the water is going over that point, it will be the inlet valve. Replace it or replace its washer / diaphragm.
For 2. the water will not be going over the internal overflow. Clean / replace the washer at the base of the flush valve. These valves can mostly be un-clipped by turning about 1/8th of a turn, generally anti-clockwise viewed from above.

Sponsored Links
+1 for the dump valve seat washer.

I find this is usually down to slime/scum build up on the lower face of the washer.

Another good reason NOT to use any of those bloody blue-loo cleaning products in a cistern :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back