Cistern very slow to refill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Our toilet is very slow to refill, takes 15 mins due to the trickle to refill the cistern. I was wondering if it is possible to fix this ? The Wc is a high level one from the bathstore. I called the shop where we bought it and they said i need to replace the full cistern.

When it is refilling, water seems to be escaping from the blue washer in the picture rather than through the clear pipe.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
how far does the float drop down when you flush it ? it looks to me that it is resting on the syphon

it may need a new torbeck washer in there, also they normally have a flow recrictor in the end where the feed connects onto this may new removing & cleaning

It drops about 15 mm then rests on the syphon. I did think it was strange that the float was sitting on the syphon when i first had a look at this.

I have tried to adjust the height of the float but it didnt seem to make any difference. The arm which holds the float is very sensitive but when the float is low /sitting on the syphon, the water seems to come out of the blue nut at a trickle and not really down the clear plastic pipe.

then you either need a new washer, which is located under the blue nut, when you take this out you will see a "needle" this needs to go through the white hole in the washer, or the inlet to the valve needs undoing & the filter checked, these come with two diff recrictors one (pre-fitted) for high pressure & one for low pressure, whoever fitted the ballvalve may have left the high pressure one in there & if this is fed from the roof tank & not off of the mains this could be the prob

Sponsored Links
That looks like a Torbeck, which should not have been fitted in that situation. If it were fitted on the other side of the cistern that would have been OK. Although, the float could be screwed upwards to give a longer drop, looking at your picture.

As previous, fit a Fluidmaster.

CBF, Andy, Charnwood

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

CBF : In the first instance I will have a look and see if washer needs replaced. It does look like the water is coming out from the nut rather than the pipe.

Andy / Charnwood : If this does not work, I will look into replacing with a Fluidmaster. Is this something I could try myself or would I need a plumber to do it ? The cistern is a high level one which is chain operated. Is this the part you are referring to - http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-side-entry-fill-valve/85797

Thanks

Is this something I could try myself or would I need a plumber to do it ?
Turn off water, undo two nuts remove Torbeck, follow instructions to fit fluidmaster (which is just reversal of removal.)

Have you tried screwing the float on the Torbeck upwards? Might cure the problem.
View media item 59442
I'm now not sure the Fluidmaster will work, may not be enough gap between the bell of the syphon and cistern wall.

the trouble is if the OP raises the float height then the water level maybe too high, the fuildmaster may work, but if it has only just started becoming a prob then i would still stick to what i said was the prob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back