Citroen AX starting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am the unfortunate owner of a Citroen 'Pocket Rocket' AX (954cc 3Dr) 'Jive' :D.
Which is great - if it started everytime! Sometimes it will not start at all - the starter motor is running (just replaced it) but the engine doesn't fire up. The wierd thing is it doesn't always happen - sometimes it fires up straight away - sometimes after a few seconds of the starter motor - sometimes I have to bump start it - thank god i live on a hill!

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks for any help in any way shape or form,

Tony

(BTW - I'm a complete noob when it comes to spanners etc - but i'd love to learn!)[/img]

Sponsored Links
I always try to suss things out systematically
hows the battery how old is it
take one of the spark plugs out can you smell fuel on it?
if you can can then me thinks its an electrical prob
check to see if you are getting a decent spark
if not then go to the orange cap open it and have a look inside to see if there is any scoring on the cap if there is prob best to get a new cap and while you are at get a new rotar arm
these could just be worn and that way you will never get a decent spark and it will never start properly

Thanks for the help - please bear with me, i am a complete novice with this sort of thing.

First off, the battery is about 3 months old - not likely to be a problem is it?
How do you test a spark plug? How many are there and do they need to all be checked?

Many thanks,

Tony

Sponsored Links
there are normally four spark plugs one per cylinder
unless its a V8 which I doubt

to test them
first remove the HT lead from the spark plug, then remove the plug
you can do this by using a spark plug tool it looks like a socket but is longer be careful not to crack the plug when you are removing it
once its removed place the plug on top of the engine block and crank the engine over. make sure you can see the plug from your position or get someone else to crank it over while you check the plug
if the plug is decent you should see a decent spark if not you will see a small yellow spark

do this with them all one by one
i do this so i don't forget what HT lead goes to what plug
if they are all decent I suspect that the prob may lie with your cap and rotor arm

Back