Citroen c4, stop oil pressure low - head gasket just fixed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Citroen c4 56 plate 77k miles on the clock. I had a blown head gasket as my oil was leaking into the coolant. Had this repaired at the garage and they also changed the cam belt. 2 days later, covering only 50 miles on short distances the car started cutting out when the engine got hot and was low revs (at traffic light for example). Took it back in and they said it was the crankshaft sensor which they replaced. Drove away and straight away another warning light STOP oil pressure too low, this goes away once revs are put on but immediately comes back after stopping. All this within one week and barely even drove after getting the head gasket replaced. It was sold with having a 12 month warranty but obviously only relating to the gasket. My question is do you think this is because of the repair, perhaps not done properly. It was supposed to have proper pressure tests but obviously have not seen these. Any help is much appreciated, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its almost impossible for a head gasket repair to have anything to do with the oil pressure......unless there was some stupid activity like running the engine before the new oil was put in, etc.
A drop in oil pressure could be due to incorrect oil specification but thats fairly remote. I'd like to see a pressure test done on the engine just to see whats really happening.
Is there any rattling from the top end of the engine at all?
John :)

If, because of the gasket failure, the coolant (water) was leaking into the oil sump this could cause damage to the bottom of the engine, including the crankshaft. Also resulting in low oil pressure. This damage would remain even after the oil change and the gasket repair.

I doubt very much they changed the crankshaft, but I could be wrong. It is the main shaft in the engine and they would have to change a lot of other components to ensure the new shaft did not fail prematurely?

I would think the pressure test they are talking about, was to find the head gasket failure, rather than oil pressure testing?

Before you do anything else check the oil level. I say this because my C5 kept cutting out going down steep hills or rather at the bottom of them, its a long story but I eventually found it was because the oil level was low. I think there is a connection from the oil pressure sensor to the engine ECU which causes it to cut out. Mine wasn't all that low, I changed it an drained out 3 1/2 litres but since I refilled it to the full mark it hasn't done it again - well not for that reason anyway.

Peter

Sponsored Links
The oil level is fine in the car and the crankshaft sensor was changed because I broke down 2 days after having the head gasket repaired. There was a slight rattle/tapping that wasn't there before when driving away but it was very quite.

Forgive me, but does the STOP lamp indicate low oil pressure / oil level / coolant level / overheating and others, all in one - or is it specifically for oil pressure?

It specifies low oil pressure, but like I say it is only when revs are low, typically when at a traffic light/junction once the engine is relatively warm. It goes as soon as the revs are increased

Apologies, I read your original post incorrectly, it was only the crankshaft sensor that had to be replaced.

As you explain the light coming on only at low revs, would indicate low oil pressure. Hopefully when they do the oil pressure test it will be within tolerance and its the sensor that's at fault. But unlikely, to be honest.

Let us know how you get on ........

Crossed fingers, fit a genuine Citroen oil filter and try again......did a Citroen dealer do the repair?

Thanks guys :) We will see, it is not a citroen dealer so fingers crossed it is just happening because of a non genuine oil filter I will check it out and get back as to what it is.

Problem is without measuring the actual oil pressure you could be looking at two scenarios.

1. You do have low oil pressure
2. Sensor fault saying there is low oil pressure when in fact you don't!

Remember if the sensor is faulty then it is perfectly feasible that at normal revs it's saying low pressure but increase of revs might just be enough to cause it to switch. As said pressure reading is only way to go.

Sponsored Links
Back