Citroen dispatch rear brake load compensator - repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! failed mot on various things, one being brake load regulator at the rear - I think that's the right name - it's the doofah that alters the brake force to the back wheels when there's a load in the back of the van. The van:
Citroen Jumpy (dispatch) 1.9D year 2000 170000km
I've just had a shocking quote for its replacement. Cant afford it. Will attempt to do it myself. I also have to do the front hoses anyway, so bleeding required. I understand that I have to get it properly regulated after fitting at a garage (?).
Before I launch blindly into it (can't find any help on the net) I thought I'd ask for some tips / advice / step-by-step instructions (I'm hopeful!) / screams of "NOOO! DONT DO IT!! etc.
How hard can it be? :)

Thanks truck loads in advance. And happy new year by the way.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it doesn't just need freeing up? Have you had a look underneath?

ABS has fortunately got rid of a lot of these, and they cannot be bypassed if originally fitted.

Hi mfarrow - wow that was quick! Thanks for responding!

Yes, I had a look at it while it was up on the garage ramp. It is caked in 14 year old gunk so yes, I was hoping that cleaning it and lubing and whacking might do the trick. However, previous experience tells me it wont be that easy! I could have a go but I dont know if I can possibly test it before the re-test, as it only shows up on the rollers. Having said that, it does sometimes lock up on the rear left when I brake hard, so maybe I can test it like that.
The mot guy said there's unequal braking on one side. I took the drums off and the brakes all seem fine. There's a tiny bit of fluid inside the rubber cap on the piston - wouldnt have thought this would affect anything. The bloke said it's the regulator, so...
But yes - cleaning and lubing first job!

Bit of an old thread - apologies for resurrecting it!

I have an issue with the brake compensator on my 1998 Peugeot Expert van.

It's failed on the basis that the brake load sensor valve linkage is incorrectly adjusted - the problem is I don't know how it should look when it is adjusted correctly!

In accompanying pictures the lock nuts have been moved by me in an attempt to free them off. The cone shaped bit may have moved a bit but there is a limit to how far it will go as the thread above has been mostly smoothed away!

I will attach pictures of the valve lever pulled as far down as possible and pushed up as far as possible:

I can't afford the cost and time of replacing it completely or justify it, bearing in mind it's an old, battered van which will only last another year with lots of luck!

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
A Brake piston wind back tool is available with both left and right hand "Winders" plus some 20 plates (For various pistons) in a plastic case on Ebay for only £18.99 inc of VAT & Postage.
The equivalent Draper or Nu-Tool set is about £130
I've only used it 4 times, but still in 100% condition, although I'm not too sure how it would wear used daily (In a Garage) for example.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=259271&start=0#ixzz3YG7Q2iDa

Sometimes there is a plate in the door well with a diagram how to set the valve up? Length of spring etc. You could also try Peugeot forums ............

Relevant pages from manual on setting compensation valve.

Thank you, think that may well be for later models though.

But it does make me wonder if the cone-shaped nut should be above the bracket on the bar, and it's got forced through the enlarged hole and ended up underneath?

But it does make me wonder if the cone-shaped nut should be above the bracket on the bar, and it's got forced through the enlarged hole and ended up underneath?
That is the problem with hijacking threads rather than starting ones own.

Title says Dispatch and pages uploaded are of a Dispatch. Reread your first thread and you have a Peugeot. Confusion abounds!

That is the problem with hijacking threads rather than starting ones own.

Title says Dispatch and pages uploaded are of a Dispatch. Reread your first thread and you have a Peugeot. Confusion abounds!

Not really, it's the same vehicle with a different badge.

I expect the differences are mainly due to the age of my vehicle and the generally more recent service data being more readily available.

The second diagram given above, is very similar to your picture, could you not try that setting, seeing you have nothing better?
Regardless of van age, after all it was kind of the person who posted the pages from the service manual, don't you think?

Sponsored Links
Back