Citroen Picasso with whistling noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just started hearing a whistling sound from the cambelt side of the engine. The sound is a little like a window open a fraction but it's from the engine and sounds like it is at the top of the belt near the p/s pump or alternator?The sound will only be heard when the engine is accelerated or run quickly.
The strange thing is though, it gradually fades away as the engine reaches full temp and then goes completely. It reappears again when starting from cold. It has recently had a new cambelt, tensioner and water pump. Any suggestions gratefully recieved. Thanks. :confused: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Is one of the rubber drive belts loose enough to slip?

Thanks for the reply. The cambelt looks fine but I think there is a belt for the alternator buried under a cover so I will check this out and get back to you. It's a bit dark out there now! Sorry to be vague but haven't had it long enough to check it all out.
Would a slipping belt stop slipping when the engine warms up though? :)

Ps It's a 2.0 hdi sx diesel.

The alternator belt will tend to slip when you first start up, because it is trying to charge the battery which went down while it was standing, and when you used the starter. You might be able to make it slip again by turning on the lights and heated window to demand more current.

this is why you more often hear them in winter, and when people pull away from traffic lights where they have been idling.

Sponsored Links
It's the cam belt that is hidden under the covers,the alternator/power steering belt is the one you can see,which is self-tensioning.Try a squirt of WD40 on the belt when then noise is there and see if it subsides.

;)

Thanks for the above replies. I'll have a look today and try the WD40 and let you know what happens. Cheers. :)

Have been out yesterday and today and noise has disappeared. Will keep the WD40 handy just in case. Thanks to you all for your advise. :D :D

Back