Noise from engine

How do you test an intermittent fault on the abs sensor?

Active type and sensors can't be tested with an ohm meter.

Sponsored Links
Gotta love clueless customers with no concept of running a business...

Sponsored Links
You can easily kill an active sensor with a multimeter.

I'm sure there is warnings in Aprilia service manuals about this (basically use the diagnostics to talk to the ABS unit and plot the output).

Basically the garage have given you their plan for best way forward, you either accept that or find another garage.

I've recently replaced an ECM on a Pan European motorcycle due to spurious knock sensor errors, tested the loom to death first mind BUT at that point the customer had the option of a replacement ECM with the slim possibility the fault was still present.

They sourced a replacement and all good. Customer was well aware that we were at the end of things to test and that was the next logical step.

For a £60 sensor it would be a quick wiring inspection first and then a sensor.

If you have magnetic rings on the wheel bearings you may want to inspect those, but that will be a visual inspection, they may have to take the sensor out to have a look (and probably break it doing so).

Being on the other side of the fence, sometimes bolts snap or parts break on removal no matter how careful you are, we always give the customer the option of carrying on if it looks rotten/ seized but on the understanding there will be extra labour if we have to drill snapped bolts out etc.

All garages seem to get tarred with the same brush as rip-off merchants but to my mind why should a job thats taken twice as long due to corrosion or neglect get charged the same amount as a vehicle thats been well looked after and in turn easier to work on.

I would say the garage have the right approach trying a sensor, unfortunately once an electrical item is removed from it's packaging it's none refundable. So in the end its up to you whether you go ahead or not..

Back