Aux belt advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Could anybody give me a little bit of advice please?

I have a UK 1998 rover 420 Diesel with air con.

About 2 weeks ago the aux belt shredded itself with a big bang as it jumped off onto the floor.

I replaced it and now I have strange noise like a bird tweeting coming from the belt area.

When I remove the belt the noise stops.

All the pulleys are free and easy to turn.

The only thing I can spot it that the tensioner pulley is not quite (by millimetres) aligned properly and the belt does not sit directly to the centre.

The spring on the tensioner seems ok and so does the bearing.
If you spray WD-40 towards the tensioner it goes quiet for a couple of minutes.

If you watch the tensioner while the engine is running it sometime jumps a bit. The tensioner also seems to take the belt very close to the Air con pulley.

Do I need a new tensioner? Or is there something I am missing here?

Sponsored Links
Take the belt off again, and feel for any bearing play in the tensioner or idler pullys.
I recently fitted a new ancillary belt and tensioner to my BMW, the tensioner had been making a twittering noise, all is quiet again now!

Wotan

Take the belt off again, and feel for any bearing play in the tensioner or idler pullys.
I recently fitted a new ancillary belt and tensioner to my BMW, the tensioner had been making a twittering noise, all is quiet again now!

Wotan

Will have a look at that, thanks for your help!

I've had this before on the Transit with the Duratorq engine.....the tensioner bends, and the belt either flies off from time to time or gets a hard life - I'd pop a new tensioner on.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've had this before on the Transit with the Duratorq engine.....the tensioner bends, and the belt either flies off from time to time or gets a hard life - I'd pop a new tensioner on.
John :)

Yep I think that is what I am going to try first.

I do think the tensioner is slightly bent at an angle, I have checked and there is a small amount of free play in the bearing.

I think when it threw the belt off it may of bent the thing.
I just hope this shuts it up as I am completely stumped if it does not work. And the sound effects seem to be getting louder!!

Hi All,

Well I have replaced the tensioner and all is quiet again!!!

Thanks for all your help.

:D

Back