Drive belt tensioner bolt loosens instead of releasing tension ?

If the locking lugs on the tensioner are just not there - for whatever reason- can you call on someone who could pull the tensioner back whilst you slip the belt on? I like to use a 15mm socket on a long bar for preference rather than a ring / combination spanner.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If the locking lugs on the tensioner are just not there - for whatever reason- can you call on someone who could pull the tensioner back whilst you slip the belt on? I like to use a 15mm socket on a long bar for preference rather than a ring / combination spanner.
John :)
hi

There is one hole on the tensioner which a very small allen key can g othrough and somewhere on the car is a similar hole but I cant see to lign it up with the hole on the tensioner I am not sure if they are meant to go together.
I am on my own on this one I have nobody avaialbe ot help me right now and most are isolating due ot covid 19 , thnaks

I normally put the belt on all pulleys bar one. I would suggest leaving it off of the first pulley it came off of when you were removing it. I then use two hands to push the tensioner, hold it in position with one hand so that I can slip the belt on the final pulley with the other. You’ve got to really push. I’ve never locked a tensioner pulley in position when fitting a belt, ever. Make sure it’s correctly seated on all pulleys before starting the engine. If it’s not on one properly, just release the tension and move it into position.

Last edited:
I normally put the belt on all pulleys bar one. I would suggest leaving it off of the first pulley it came off of when you were removing it. I then use two hands to push the tensioner, hold it in position with one hand so that I can slip the belt on the final pulley with the other. You’ve got to really push. I’ve never locked a tensioner pulley in position when fitting a belt, ever. Make sure it’s correctly seated on all pulleys before starting the engine. If it’s not on one properly, just release the tension and move it into position.

Hi
It came off the alternator pulley first. the tenisoer is very heavy to pull back I am using a ratchet. I have a breaker bar but it is too big a smaller breaker bar would be more ideal.
Can the tensioner pulley be locked in on the model of my car ? I only see 1 hole on the tensioner small enoguh to fit a small allen key in but I doubt a allen key that small would hold it back. also it is difficult linig it up with the other hole if it even would

Sponsored Links
Is this one any use for the project?

hi
I have been watching but it is not solving when I am stuck, I am trying to lock in the tensioner but I only see 1 hole on the one on my car, and it doesn't seem ot line up with the other hold, on this tutoirial it has 2 holes

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If this is your engine, I'd just be operating the tensioner with a spanner and feeding the belt on then turn the tensioner to feed the belt on to it last.

full

If this is your engine, I'd just be operating the tensioner with a spanner and feeding the belt on then turn the tensioner to feed the belt on to it last.

full

hi
Yes it looks like it, if it is a 1.9 cdti 120 bhp fiat engine than it is the same.

Ideally If I can I will try locking it as it does have small hole for allen key but struggling to line it up with other hold on engine. I only have ratchet so tension is very tight, my breaker bar too big to get in there.
would you be using the spanner throughout wrapping the belt around all the pulleys or just on the last pulley to release the tension ?

Another thing I don't get here, How does the belt stay on while routing it around while it is slack, it just falls off ?

thank you very much, appreciated

Sometimes easier to do from underneath. Perhaps put it on the aircon pulley last? Can you not get a short pipe or tube over the handle of the ratchet?

From underneath, I’d try looping the belt on in this position, turn the tensioner as far as you can and then try flipping it on the a/c pulley with one hand. Sometimes if you even get it on halfway so that it holds in position, you can reposition your spanner better and then turn the tensioner to loosen the belt and do the final flip on.
D4FA1360-013A-416B-A947-E9E518C36713.jpeg

From underneath, I’d try looping the belt on in this position, turn the tensioner as far as you can and then try flipping it on the a/c pulley with one hand. Sometimes if you even get it on halfway so that it holds in position, you can reposition your spanner better and then turn the tensioner to loosen the belt and do the final flip on.View attachment 189650

thanks, so howwould you do it, which would you start with ?

I’d try fitting the belt as per the diagram. Once that’s in position, get a good fit on the pulley bolt with whatever tool you have. The longer the tool, the easier the leverage will be. Pull hard on the pulley bolt and when it can go no more, push the belt on the aircon pulley. If it doesn’t go on fully the first time and it’s only partially on, release the tension on the pulley bolt, fit your tool on it in a better position (as the pulley will be in another position) to get a better pull on it, tighten the pulley, the belt should loosen enough for you to fully push it into position. It’s easier to do than explain and it really isn’t a hard thing to do, it’s just that we’ve been in the trade for 40+ years and experience is everything. Oh, whatever you do, don’t get your fingers or thumb in between the belt and pulley at any time - if that spanner slips off the bolt at the wrong time, it’ll do more than sting a little!

You’re not a member of the AA, RAC or any other such similar breakdown organisations are you by any chance? If you’re really stuck, you could phone them, tell them your belt has broken and that you have a new one and they’d fit it for you on the roadside in minutes.

I’d try fitting the belt as per the diagram. Once that’s in position, get a good fit on the pulley bolt with whatever tool you have. The longer the tool, the easier the leverage will be. Pull hard on the pulley bolt and when it can go no more, push the belt on the aircon pulley. If it doesn’t go on fully the first time and it’s only partially on, release the tension on the pulley bolt, fit your tool on it in a better position (as the pulley will be in another position) to get a better pull on it, tighten the pulley, the belt should loosen enough for you to fully push it into position. It’s easier to do than explain and it really isn’t a hard thing to do, it’s just that we’ve been in the trade for 40+ years and experience is everything. Oh, whatever you do, don’t get your fingers or thumb in between the belt and pulley at any time - if that spanner slips off the bolt at the wrong time, it’ll do more than sting a little!

You’re not a member of the AA, RAC or any other such similar breakdown organisations are you by any chance? If you’re really stuck, you could phone them, tell them your belt has broken and that you have a new one and they’d fit it for you on the roadside in minutes.

hi,. thank you for this.
I do not have breakdown cover for my car.
I would like to do the drive belt myself it is something I have wanted to do for a while.
I am no mechanic but I have done a few repairs from following you tube videos, I've done calipers, discs and pads, wheel bearings , cv boots, drop links, exhausts and other things.

When you say fit the belt per diagram, you drew the red around the pulleys on the picture I can't figure out from 1 - 6 what order you would go in. Would you leave the tensioner alone until tackling the last pulley ?
when you said don't put my thumb/fingers in between the pulley and belt do you mean the tensioner pulley ?

I just don't know how to wrap the belt around it just falls off because its slack

the photo of the tensioner below I think is the same as on my car, is that hole in the top for locking tensioner in ? on youtube tutorial it shows 2 holes to lock it in with also i cant seem to line it up
thank you

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
Back