Drive belt tensioner bolt loosens instead of releasing tension ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Please help I have never changed drivebelt before and as everyone is isolating due to covid 19 I am doing it myself.
car is a 57 plate Vectra C 1.9 cdti 120 bhp , When I undo the tensioner bolt it only loosens the bolt on the tensioner and does not actually affect/loosen the tension on the belt to get it off .

the belt has shredded and the belt has also come of one or 2 of the pulleys a little bit it isn't full on the pulley
anyone have any ideas?
much appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
If it has a sprung tensioner, look for an allen key socket or similar to pull the tension off the belt.
That’s one method but they do vary...sometimes a two pegged tool is necessary but not often.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If it has a sprung tensioner, look for an allen key socket or similar to pull the tension off the belt.
That’s one method but they do vary...sometimes a two pegged tool is necessary but not often.

Hi there ! Not sure what a spring tensioner means but apparently it has one.
There is something further back that looks like an Allen key may fit in. What would I do, just put an Allen key in and loosen and undo it while tugging the belt off ?
On YouTube on same engine it shows him just undoing the 15ml bolt and it released tension on belt . Showed nothing about Allen key .
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_201559.jpg
    IMG_20200419_201559.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 268
As above its spring loaded 15mm socket or spanner turn clockwise with on hand and pull belt off with other hand.

Hi
Yes it is 15 ml I was turning it anti clockwise to loosen it as shown on YouTube on a car with the same engine, all what happens is the bolt on the tensioner comes loose with and no tension release on the belt. Is it true you have to put Allen key in the hole behind it and undo it ?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_201559.jpg
    IMG_20200419_201559.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 249
Forgive me mate but what I see there doesn’t look like a spring loaded tensioner but rather an ordinary one.
More pics of the belt run please, we’re looking for other tensioners or the alternator.

I'd use something fatter to hold the tension so it has a better hold.

I wish you well with the task.

full

Forgive me mate but what I see there doesn’t look like a spring loaded tensioner but rather an ordinary one.
More pics of the belt run please, we’re looking for other tensioners or the alternator.

Hi and thanks for helping me !
I looked up the routing it shows this as being the tensioner pulley.
I will try to take more photo's tomorrow in daylight, it is difficult trying to take photo's of some of the pulleys they are in awkward places.

the photo here shows diagram for belt routing, I don't understand why it says on tutorials undo the tensioner nut anti clockwise and it will ease tension off the belt, all it does it loosens the nut though and no release on belt tension.
there is a small allen key looking hole further back, is that possibly needed to release belt tension ? I see nothing on tutorials about this though.

Thank you friend, much appreciated

Attachments

• 2011-07-09_221956_sss.jpg
    2011-07-09_221956_sss.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 254
Allen key, drill bit, thin screwdriver just holds it in the untensioned position until you put a new belt on.

Hello to you, thank you for being here for me to help !

I didn't see on any tutorials I have watched about locking in the tensioner, the people in the video's say undo the tensioner nut 15 ml to release tension, I tried that all it does is loosen tension not and not releasing belt tension.
So would you say the tensioner must be locked in to release the tension on the belt, if I put an allen key through the holes or whatever how would I release the belt, should I then try again loosening the tensioner 15 ml nut after locking it in or should I try putting allen key in the hole there is like an allen key will that possibly be for de tension the belt ?

thank you so much

Sponsored Links
Back