Drive belt tensioner bolt loosens instead of releasing tension ?

Tighten the tensioner bolt clockwise and it will untension the belt against spring tension. Once the belt is off I gradually let the pressure off until the spanner hits on something or the tensioner stops moving. Fit new belt, tighten again clockwise until you can slip the belt on. I always draw a picture of the pulleys and the routing of the belt.
5B01DECC-B9FB-45E0-9893-C141CE3A3F82.jpeg

Sponsored Links

Thank you for replying, I do appreciate it.
I was told the tensioner didn't need locking, and that undoing the 15 ml nut would release the tension on the belt. I undid the tensioner nut and it loosened the bolt but did not release belt tension. If I try locking it in then undo tensioner bolt would that possibly release tension ? thanks

I'd use something fatter to hold the tension so it has a better hold.

I wish you well with the task.

full
thank you so much I will try it.
If I lock it in then the 15 ml tensioner bolt should it un tension the belt ?

Tighten the tensioner bolt clockwise and it will untension the belt against spring tension. Once the belt is off I gradually let the pressure off until the spanner hits on something or the tensioner stops moving. Fit new belt, tighten again clockwise until you can slip the belt on. I always draw a picture of the pulleys and the routing of the belt. View attachment 189528

Hi , great to see you and thanks for stopping by to help me.

When you say go clockwise on the 15 ml tensioner bolt , wouldn't that make it tighter ? it is already in very tight and I'd have thought over tightening it would break it. I went anti clockwise earlier and the bolt came out so I tightened it back up and tried it clockwise so far, it didn't do anything in terms of releasing the belt. is the tensioner pulley supposed to move as it is being tightened/loosened ?

thank you

Sponsored Links
No. All spring tensioner are loosened by tightening the tensioner nut. You won’t break it but you will see the tensioner move. As you have found out, loosening the bolt only removes it - this is so you can replace just the pulley. Grab hold of the belt and pull it outwards an you will see the tensioner move. This is not your car but the same principle applies. See how tightening the bolt, loosens the pulley and look at the length of the lever he is using.

No. All spring tensioner are loosened by tightening the tensioner nut. You won’t break it but you will see the tensioner move. As you have found out, loosening the bolt only removes it - this is so you can replace just the pulley. Grab hold of the belt and pull it outwards an you will see the tensioner move. This is not your car but the same principle applies. See how tightening the bolt, loosens the pulley and look at the length of the lever he is using.

Thank you so much, you guys are brilliant and appreciated. I did try tightening a bit as well after tightening the bolt again from loosening it off, maybe I didn't tighten it enough I will try again tomorrow and let you know

I presume you have a quality replacement belt to fit?

It'd be a disaster if you fitted a cheap one then it broke in mid flight and you had to get and fit another one at the road side.

If access is tight I sometimes find I'm not strong enough to move the tensioner without a length of pipe or whatever on the end of the spanner.
I'm sure it will shift if the bolt is turned clockwise.
John :)

I use an 'extension spanner'. ;)

AE81CC25-60AF-436A-8CD6-44CA4CD034E8.jpeg

Although I keep threatening to buy myself a Serpentine belt spanner set.

841AD1CB-3862-4EEE-A46B-E1C4926F6EEC.jpeg

I use an 'extension spanner'. ;)

View attachment 189562

Although I keep threatening to buy myself a Serpentine belt spanner set.

View attachment 189563

hi
help please.
I have taken off the old drivebelt, I was able to release the tension on it. Now I want to know do I need to lock the drivebelt tensioner to fit the new belt on or not ?
I could only see one hole on the tensioner that may be for locking it in and I was able to pass a very small allen key through it but It is a very thin allen key I don't see how that would hold it back, I don't see 2 holes for 2 allen keys as shown in the tutorial. I tried to line it up with a hole (don'tthink it was on the engine) but even thoguh I pulled it all the way it was not going into any hole other than on the tensioner hole.
please help me I appreciete it. thanks

If access is tight I sometimes find I'm not strong enough to move the tensioner without a length of pipe or whatever on the end of the spanner.
I'm sure it will shift if the bolt is turned clockwise.
John :)
hi
help please.
I have taken off the old drivebelt, I was able to release the tension on it. Now I want to know do I need to lock the drivebelt tensioner to fit the new belt on or not ?
I could only see one hole on the tensioner that may be for locking it in and I was able to pass a very small allen key through it but It is a very thin allen key I don't see how that would hold it back, I don't see 2 holes for 2 allen keys as shown in the tutorial. I tried to line it up with a hole (don'tthink it was on the engine) but even thoguh I pulled it all the way it was not going into any hole other than on the tensioner hole.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...releasing-tension.543262/page-2#ixzz6KBLF41Ql

I presume you have a quality replacement belt to fit?

It'd be a disaster if you fitted a cheap one then it broke in mid flight and you had to get and fit another one at the road side.
hi
help please.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...releasing-tension.543262/page-2#ixzz6KBLF41Ql

Sponsored Links
Back