Cladding a block shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a single block shed which I am thinking of cladding in waney edge board. I wanted to know before fitting the battens should I wrap the shed in membrane first or should I just clad it straight onto the blocks?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Meant to be: breathable membrane, then battens... also an insect mesh at the bottom.

Are you doing this purely for cosmetic reasons, or for performance?

Sponsored Links
look at cembrit or hardie plank. Much nicer than waney edge.

Hi all

I have a single block shed which I am thinking of cladding in waney edge board. I wanted to know before fitting the battens should I wrap the shed in membrane first or should I just clad it straight onto the blocks?

many thanks

breathable membrane, then 50 x 25 batten at say 600 centres.

if you have a side of the shed that faces the fence or end of garden, then you could clad that with cement board - saves using timber cladding on sides that aren’t seen and avoids any maintenance.

breathable membrane, then 50 x 25 batten at say 600 centres.

if you have a side of the shed that faces the fence or end of garden, then you could clad that with cement board - saves using timber cladding on sides that aren’t seen and avoids any maintenance.
Many thanks. Think I’ll just glad the whole lot even though 2 sides won’t be seen.

look at cembrit or hardie plank. Much nicer than waney edge.
Thanks for the option. I need to look into costs and other timber options. Want it to look like a timber shed. A t&g style would be good if available in fibre cement

With costs of timber and the time it would take me I am also considering render and paint

You don't need a membrane on masonry! Its for timber frames to allow the frame to breathe.

As long as the cladding has a drained cavity behind it, then it will act as a rainscreen and prevent the wall becoming damp.

Cedral or similar cement board timber-effect cladding is relatively cheap nowadays and no maintenance either. Some it it is about £3.50 /m, which is a bit more than SW, but a lot less than plastic or the silly prices of hardwood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back