cladding a shed.. the hard way...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shed that was constructed in place by the looks of it.
concrete base, 2x4 stud walls, 8'x4' plywood sheats on the outside, and several blue tarps nailed on for waterproofing.. :rolleyes: ( not built by me obviously, the previous owner lashed it up to keep his bike in. )

I'd like to clad it with shiplap and lose the tarps as one side in particular is shredded now..

the problem is that while it was built about 10 inches away from the fence, I can't get round to the back of it or remove the fence panel ( plants / ivy issue keeping the panel in place ) to fix the cladding on.

there is a sizeable overhang on the roof.

would it be possible to construct a clad wall on 2x1 battens and then screw the whole thing on in one piece from the inside?

I have room to slide it down the back.

something like this I was thinking..

Sponsored Links
Yuo could but it seems an awful lot of work for somewhere you can't really see, unless you play a lot of hide and seek with the kids.
Is it really not waterproof on that side so that it needs the additional boarding or is this a cosmectic issue? If it's the latter how about a small panel to close up the visual aspect between the shed and fence? Fitted with hinges to allow maintanince?

I think it's regular plywood, not the waterproof stuff, and the only thing keeping it "waterproof" at the minute is the blue tarp nailed to it..

Ok understood.
Then I'd go ahead with your idea but fix rebated batterns to the shed and corresponding batterns to the new panel to form bottons or ledges if you prefer. That way it should be easier to slide in the panel and slide it out for maintainence and painting. I'd also be inclined to keep the new panel off the ground, ledges help here too, to give it a ventilation gap rather than sit the panel on the ground.

Sponsored Links
As it's a sheltered location you might be able to rig up a 'folding curtain' of breather membrane. Get a decent one like Tyvek and it's very tear resistant. Lay out some 2x1 batten on the floor 'vertically', say 400mm centres, lay a couple of sheets over these lengthways including about 6" overlap, staple through membrane into battens. now screw additional battens onto the existing ones through the membrane.
Feed this curtain round the back, could probably screw one end onto the back corner of the shed and tie some string to the other end or feed it through with a length of batten. Once the curtain has reached the other side pull it taught and straight and screw it to the back of the shed.

Now you just have to measure carefully from inside working out where the battens land on the back of the plywood. Then screw through the internal side of the ply, into the batten that's sandwiched between ply/membrane. Of course the batten will pull away as you screw through, but a length of 4x2 or a fencepost fed round the back, and held flush at both ends should suffice enough for the screw to penetrate the timber. You will probably need a bod at each end holding the thicker timber in the right place while you screw through.
Use sharp pointy screws at high speed, the ones with a self cutting tip are good.

Downside, might get noisy in a breeze, could always fix a wide board between shed and fence to cover the gap, or extend the side cladding boards up close to the fence. This will reducing wind passage, Plus will keep foxes and cats from going round there and doing a MASSIVE ****!

to be honest if the fence is protecting the wall i would put a gutter on the back edge and not worry to much just extend the sides 2 or 3 inches leave an inch for airflow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back