Shed frame does it need to be tanalised wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to build a lean to shed and have a few (probably silly) questions I hope someone may be able to advise me on.

1. I am trying to decide between methods either

Method A. Essentially a deck with a lean to pergola over the top - cementing some fence posts into the ground and then screwing some form of cladding to the fence posts so essentially I would have something like this but with the 3 sides filled in and a suspended floor attached to the posts

Method B. create a base and them create a frame on 3 sides using 2x4 like this

The question is which method would be the best method to use ?

2. If I went for method B and built a complete frame on the inside would this need to be tantalised wood or could be internal CLS 2x4 since it will be internal

3. Finally what options do I have the outside wall coverings. I would like shiplap cladding but it is expensive are there any other good cheaper alternatives and if I did go with the cladding would this need to be tantalised treated if I am going to treat the wood afterwards

many thanks for any advise

Sponsored Links
thanks Freddy

Yes I had planned for the timber posts to be pressure treated I just wondered about an internal framer which would sit on the base and whether since this will be inside it would need to be treated or not

thanks

forgot to say I already have two overlap sheds which I could dismantle and reuse the wood. Would it be a good idea to reuse the overlap shed for the outside walls or would it be more advisable to get rid of these and buy cladding

Sponsored Links
i would basically be creating the frame and then screwing cladding (or alternative to the outside of it

The kind of cladding that comes with a typical overlap shed is hardly the best, though if its in good nick and you can get it off without mashing it up then why not. Really though not using treated for the studs etc is gonna end in tears.

thanks Freddy I will go with pressure treated beams for the base and also pressure treated 2x3 for the side frames.

I'll have to look at the cost of the shiplap cladding again as I only priced it in B & Q and was going to work out quite expensive - I wonder if my local wood yard would sell shiplap ?

I'd personally go for option B.

But don't make a timber foundation, get some blocks to create a small up-stand to sit the frame on, significantly more durable option.

hi AronSearle

thanks for the reply

can you expand on what you mean by a "small up-stand to sit frame on"

i assumed a timber base frame with cemented posts in the ground would be the best way to go but am interested to hear more about your suggestion

somewhat like this.......

lds901f_lg.jpg

It's a much more durable option to keep the timber above ground.

ok thanks aron

those concrete blocks look interesting - ive never seen them in any shops but could probably make some

would it be advisable to use that as the floor of the shed i.e. just scren OSB board to that frame and then build the sides on top or would you create another floor for the shed and then sit this new floor on that base

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back