Cladding - What offers the best fake wood colour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to clad our dormers. Every trade person I talk to only wants to use Hardie Plank, but the fact of the matter is any natural wood colour Hardie Plank does just looks utter rubbish to me. What I want is something that looks like cedar (but I don't want to use real wood because I ain't putting scaffold up every year to maintain it)

Any recommendations for different products that better look like wood?

Sponsored Links
I see dormers clad in cedar and the like and I think they look absolutely awful, far too bright, be they real wood or composite. Greys or dark browns etc look far nicer and are much more subtle than cedar IMO. Marley Cedral looks pretty good to me, but then I like the muted colours. Think you'll have to search for a specific composite cedar cladding or the like rather than a generic industry standard brand that just comes in a wood colour.

Last edited:
Cedar and larch, untreated, weather to a grey colour over a season or two. They never stay wood colour

Sponsored Links

"Composite cladding" seems to be the theme

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back