Clamp on / Probe thermometer recommendations ...?

Its just that they are not accurate enough to be useful for professional applications where its important to have an accurate measurement.
That's a very sweeping statement! It all depends on the quality of the instrument. You can't expect a £20 one to work to the same tolerances as a £200 one. Maplin are selling one for £50 which has a stated accuracy of ±2%.

Hospitals now use IR thermometers instead of mercury ones; and I'm sure they wouldn't have changed if there was any doubt about their accuracy - after all a temperature of 101°F is OK but 103°F is getting dangerous.

Sponsored Links
The instruments are quite accurate but as you yourself posted, the emissivity varies so widely that their usefulness is virtually zero for most heating measurements.

Hospitals use them because a non contact instrument does not spread infection.

I find mine are quite repeatable and useful for the mouth. I expect most mouths will be very similar.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back