Clamping Flexi's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am struggling to find the reg that states flexi's must be clamped and not hang on the conductors. I have 'picked up' a wiring centre (heating) that has both no clamps on the flexis & the sheathing missing on the last cm before entering the box. The clamps are there in the enclosure to be used but just ignored.
Your help appreciated

Sponsored Links
What are flexis, and where are the conductors of which you speak?

Photos would be useful...

standard 10 way wiring wiring box for S/Y plan with all 7 flexi cables to zone valves stat timer etc not only not clamped in the clamps provided but showing about a min of 1cm of conductor outside the enclosure. Its causing a bit of a rucus on a new awful installation I had cause to inspect today. Done by a plumber - not a sparky I hasten to add. . This is the wiring centre: http://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/heating-controls-valves-c436/salus-c252/salus-salus-wiring-centre-tc100-pp18136?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=salus-wiring-centre-tc100-salus-wiring-centre-tc100-salus-wiring-centre-tc100-tc100&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsb-vBRCLj7TvqpGx_MoBEiQALgFGnoiG7U37EPEEQQWLNmR-IAPHPB-KwJ3DZD5ASU3i8Z8aAhWI8P8HAQ

I expect to see sheathing all the way into the box then clamped before the conductors are split.

Didnt think I would need a photo as it was just another comment on a list a mile long lol

Sorry - not being funny, but when you wrote "flexis" I thought you meant more than one flexi. Not flexes, i.e. more than one flex.

Anyway - it's 522.8.4 & 522.8.5 that you want.

Don't know why it's causing a ruckus - it was quite clearly incompetently done, quite clearly in contravention of the regulations, and the fact that you can see exposed cores is a quite clear demonstration of why the cables should have been clamped. Frankly it beggars belief that even a plumber would think that the box has clamps just for show, and that any responsible person would think there was anything wrong with condemning his work and insisting it be re-done.

Sponsored Links
The rucus caused was not just so much that the entire job was awful that being an awful plumbing installer he / they then had a go at being awful electricians to boot!
Thankyou for your assistance.

I use P-Clips where I can on wiring centres that have rubbish cable restraints. Can make them look pretty tidy that way, can dress the flexes pretty nicely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back