class 1 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a building with class 1 light fittings , there are no earths , can i leave these as its hard to rewire in this building but it could be covered by an rcbo , will this do

Sponsored Links
what work are planning to undertake in this building?
You mention "rewire"?
Is this particular lighting circuit being altered in any way ?

No not altered ! Landlord needs certificate , but he has double flow lights and they class 1 but it's old building with plaster cornices which will be nightmare to get earths to or rewire , all different levels with welded floors layed above as its a dentists surgery , I've changed fuse boards for rcbo's and wondering if this will be ok

I would say it is NOT OK especially in a rented property where the landlord has responsibility for the tenant's safety. Lights should be changed to Class 2.
Not sure what a 'double flow light' is anyway and Google sheds no light.

Sponsored Links
Sorry double flourecent lights ! And I can't seem to find any class 2 lights that could replace these ! I'm clutching at straws here I know but I'm struggling lol

It will not comply as to being OK I have seen buildings without earth for lights which are 50 years old and no one has been injured, but what we want to do is be able to point to some national organisation, and say these people said it was OK to do this.

The Electrical Safety Council has said how it's OK to continue to use lighting with no earth if all fittings are double insulated. But it has never been permitted by any edition of BS7671. It was allowed by some very old wiring regulations pre 1964, but clearly we can't really continue to use knife switches or other items which were allowed with the first edition. At some point one has to say enough is enough it should have been inspected every 10 years so the owner should have been told 5 times that there was a problem.

It fails it's that simple. The debate is which code it attracts, The guide says Code 2 can't really see how you can give any other coding. I will admit the time when part of the building became a dentist could be taken into consideration. If before 1964 then using Class II would likely be OK if after 1964 then change of use should have resulted in a re-wire.

Sorry double flourecent lights ! And I can't seem to find any class 2 lights that could replace these ! I'm clutching at straws here I know but I'm struggling lol
Yes I had that problem even plastic fittings seems to be still Class I so I had to change to 2D fittings. I was rather peeved that the unit which arrived looked exactly the same as other cheaper units and it seems I had paid a premium just to have the sticker on it.

I went here to ensure Class II but I am not 100% convinced it's not just a case of some one buying a role of stickers.

Lol yes I know what your saying I had this as well with a certain 2d fitting and I was wasn't convinced either but as to original post I'm going to have to go tell them it needs to be rewired! Thanks for your posts and help :)

its a dentists surgery , I've changed fuse boards for rcbo's and wondering if this will be ok
The lack of earthing should have been sorted before the new board was fitted.

If the landlord/owner did not want the lights rewiring or replacing, the board replacement should not have been done either.

Yes I know this but I've spent 3 weeks (at weekends and nights because they won't close) putting a lot of other stuff right ! And I changed the board because it needed done ! The last thing that I need to do is the lights , which I thought I'd ask here before I go and tell them the lights need rewired , and they know the lights need sorting , money is no object to these guys but the job it's self is my problem cause it not easy to rewire ! So I thank the guys that helped me earlier but flame port thank you for stating the obvious without knowing the full story

Firstly, and this is the patronising bit, are you certain there is no earth wire?

No metal conduit, pyro, twin and earth with earth cut out?

Hidden joints above ceiling only partially earthed?

Ok, patronising bit over.

What about those LED 600x600 tiles? I assume they don't need an earth, they look double insulated to me. Very bright, daylight type of light.

Or mini trunking.

Yes definitely no earth , very first plastic cable to come out I think but that's a bit before my time lol , I haven't seen them led tiles but I'll google it when I get home , sounds promising , as I say money no object but time is a major problem to me as can only go in at nights and weekends and doing that in a 3 storey building when you can't lift floors , and I been told to do whatever for them to get completion cert , man this job sucks at times lol but thanks for the info sparkright

You can get cables behind large ornate plaster cornices without damaging them by drilling from both the ceiling and wall then fishing with chain and magnet. Have done it many times.

I haven't seen your method done skenk but I like the idea lol , but a 10 inch plaster cornice I couldn't guarantee fishing behind , but then the next room is a different level then the hallway lower again , just a complete nightmare to be honest , im checking out led panels and they looking like a good option , don't get me wrong a rewire of the lights is the way forward but time scale for me is not lol , all the landlord is saying is where is my certificate lmao

Tell him he can't have one until you can issue him one! Class II lights or a rewire.

Either way he's gonna have to pay for it, then he can have his cert.

If you chop enough of the plaster out underneath the cornice you can get a good enough angle on your drill to get behind it. Or just multi tool a nice big section of it out :sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back