Earthing A Class 1 Light......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lighting circuit in my house has no earth.

I want to install two class 1 lights in a new shower room. In the loft above there will be the cold feed to the shower. If I connect an earth from the light to this and bond the cold feed to the hot feed and bond the hot feed to the central heating which is connected to the boiler which is earthed......

Will this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
a) use an insulated lamp

b) rewire the lighting circuit

c) stop grumbling.

Sponsored Links
The lighting circuit in my house has no earth.

I want to install two class 1 lights in a new shower room. In the loft above there will be the cold feed to the shower. If I connect an earth from the light to this and bond the cold feed to the hot feed and bond the hot feed to the central heating which is connected to the boiler which is earthed......

Will this be acceptable?

I've not seen a question on here for quite a while which has required the big red no.

NO

What you propose is incredibly dangerous. Possibly the most dangerous proposal I have seen on this forum so far this year. :eek:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good job I asked.

Two questions

1) Is there such a thing as a Class 1 insulated light?

2) Which bit counted as the grumble? :D

1) Is there such a thing as a Class 1 insulated light?

Double insulted you mean? (I reckon John is having a bit of an off day :LOL: )

No, double insulated is class 2 by definition, look for this symbol on equipment to identify class 2 souble insulated
5.20b.gif

You need to fit a Class 2 (Double Insulated ) light.Look for the square within a square symbol.
Think about having your wiring inspected and tested at sometime in the future also as this indicates your installation could be past it's sell by date ;)

Er guys perhaps I'll start again.....

I seem to have confused the issue here. Entirely my own fault.

I used the term 'class' when I think I should have been using the term 'zone'.

It's a zone one light that has an earth terminal.

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Edit. The house looks to have been rewired in the 1970's

It's a zone one light

You mean its Ip44 or greater? and thus suitable for zone one of bathrooms where cleaning with water jets does not happen?

that has an earth terminal.
Then regardless of what zone its suitable for, its class 1 as well ;)

Edit. The house looks to have been rewired in the 1970's

1960's which means lack of lighting circuit earths, insufficent provision of circuits and points for todays use, imperial cable sizing (not really a problem), no RCD protection and early pvc cables

... means its needs a test and inspect (which ought to be done every 10 years + change of ownership/tenancy - but rarely does!)

Thanks Adam, is it possible to get double-insulated zone 1 lights?

BTW I had the house checked when I moved in (1979) and the electrician fitted an RCD. But I take your point, that's nearly 30 years ago now. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back