Earth bonding a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with 2 questions that I have.

I have a 1900 built terraced house which has a bathroom at the rear of the property, on the ground floor.

Firstly, on the 1st floor, there is a small wash room with only a sink and toilet in it. I am looking into the possiblity of adding an electric shower into this room. I have checked the earth bonding in the ground floor bathroom, which runs between the sink (hot & cold feeds), the radiator, the bath (hot & cold feeds), toilet and shower ( cold feed) and then seems to run directly back to the dis board.

My question is, Can I carry this earth circuit to the upstairs 'proposed' new shower room or do I need to run a seperate earth back to the dis board.

Secondly, I need to run a new 10mm cable back to the dis board for the second shower (not continue the curcuit from the downstairs shower)
Is this Correct?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
not clear on what you actually intend but firstly is it 10mm to start with to first bathroom?
secondly if it is easy to run then run a new 10mm earth to new bathroom from board as that way your sure of a good earth path

There's two types of bonding. What you have in the bathroom is called equipotential bonding - this brings all the incoming metal parts in that room to the same potential, including the electrical circuit earths. This bonding conductor does not need to run back to the main earth terminal.

The main bonding goes to the incoming water and gas and this DOES need to go to the MET.

For your shower, all you need to do is run a bond from its earth temrinal (or in its ceiling switch) to the lighting circuit in that room and to the toilet and sink pipes.

Its never recommended to have 2 electric showers run off the same distribution board, without some kind of interlock to stop them both running together.

Crafty said:
There's two types of bonding. What you have in the bathroom is called equipotential bonding - this brings all the incoming metal parts in that room to the same potential, including the electrical circuit earths. This bonding conductor does not need to run back to the main earth terminal.

Supplementary bonding.

Sponsored Links
GaryMo said:
Crafty said:

Supplementary bonding.
Thats the one. :oops: :LOL:

The main bonding goes to the incoming water and gas and this DOES need to go to the MET.

For your shower, all you need to do is run a bond from its earth temrinal (or in its ceiling switch) to the lighting circuit in that room and to the toilet and sink pipes.

Its never recommended to have 2 electric showers run off the same distribution board, without some kind of interlock to stop them both running together.

Thanks for this answer, All the info I was after. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back