Class I or Class II ?

Sponsored Links
In fact, having thought about it, doesn't the presence of exposed-conductive-parts (as defined in BS7671) automatically make an item Class I?

No, not at all.

If those exposed-conductive parts are separated from live parts by basic insulation, and connected to the cpc, then it's Class I.
If those exposed-conductive-parts are separated from live parts by double or reinforced insulation, then it's Class II.

I fail to see the confusion.

There may, of course, be 'irrelevant isolated metal' stuck to the outside of a Class II item, but if the metal "can become live under fault conditions" (the definition of an exposed-conductive-part), it surely must be connected so something within the item - hence Class I??

No.

There are many items that I've experienced that are fully metal encased, but are still Class II (Yamaha graphic equalizers, for one).
Yes, but I think you are sort of missing the fundamental point.

Your GE definitely is Class II but if the casing were plastic or wood it would not need the protection of the class II insulation and so, in my view, would not be class II even if the manufacturer used the same parts as the metal cased ones.

But your view seems to be fairly irrelevant, as it doesn't seem to agree with the definitions in the standards that the manufacturers are working to.

If they build an appliance, fully encased in plastic or wood(!), and they ensure that there is double or reinforced insulation between the live parts and YOU, then they are at liberty to certify that appliance as Class II, as per the relevant standards.

If you don't agree with that, that's up to you...

So your laptop charger probably has an IEC C14 or C6 inlet (or some other comparable connector)? So it probably uses the earth for functional purposes. Which is why it can't be classified as Class II.
So what are you saying it is - surely not Class I?

Well, there's the rub.
Not really Class I, not really Class II.
Maybe the standards need updating?

The camera wallwart charger maybe has an ISOD (Insulated Shutter Opening Device - aka a plastic earth pin), and if so, is quite clear that the Class II mark is correct (although not all have plastic earth pins).
You seem to be assuming that the fact that a connection to CPCs does not enter an item automatically makes it Class II - which is surely not necessarily correct?

No, not assuming that at all.
However, in EFLImpudence's case, the posited lack of a cpc, and the double-square mark would be pretty hard to argue against.

Sponsored Links
In fact, having thought about it, doesn't the presence of exposed-conductive-parts (as defined in BS7671) automatically make an item Class I?
NO. that's the whole point of Class II - metal exposed parts which are NOT connected to a cpc.
I don't understand how you can say that after all the discussion.

Agreed.

There may, of course, be 'irrelevant isolated metal' stuck to the outside of a Class II item, but if the metal "can become live under fault conditions" (the definition of an exposed-conductive-part), it surely must be connected so something within the item - hence Class I??
I have a class II metal drill (and other tools) which does not have a cpc in the cable.
Even a plastic cased drill will have a metal chuck sticking out of it.

Good example.

No, not at all.
If those exposed-conductive parts are separated from live parts by basic insulation, and connected to the cpc, then it's Class I.
If those exposed-conductive-parts are separated from live parts by double or reinforced insulation, then it's Class II.
I fail to see the confusion.
As I also asked of EFLI, are you not confusing "metal exposed parts" (everyday meaning) with "exposed-conductive-parts" (as defined in BS 7671) ?

In particular, my understanding of the BS 7671 definition (which seems sensible) has been that what you talk of as "exposed-conductive-parts separated by double/re-inforced insulation from live parts" are not, actually, 'exposed-conductive-parts' per the BS 7671 definition. Am I wrong?

Kind Regards, John.

So, a brief summary:

John W2: you seem to think that only completely insulated items can be Class II. Anything with metal on it automatically becomes Class I.

EFLImpudence: you seem to think that only items that have some metal on, but are double or reinforced insulated, can be Class II. Anything that is completely insulated cannot be called Class II.

That's what I seem to have gleaned from the thread so far.

So your laptop charger probably has an IEC C14 or C6 inlet (or some other comparable connector)? So it probably uses the earth for functional purposes. Which is why it can't be classified as Class II.
So what are you saying it is - surely not Class I?
Well, there's the rub. Not really Class I, not really Class II. Maybe the standards need updating?
EXACTLY. That is the whole point we have been debating, and the reason I started this thread. Despite all the assertions about what what is Class I and what is Class II, you have at long last agreed with me that the sort of things I'm talking about to not actually fulfill the definitions of either.

That was my only point in starting all this.

Kind Regards, John

So, a brief summary: John W2: you seem to think that only completely insulated items can be Class II. Anything with metal on it automatically becomes Class I.
Definitely NOT. I thought I had been very clear in saying that sticking bits of isolated metal on/around an item which would be Class II without the metal does not change the fact that it is still Class II.

If the 'outer metal' is in any way electrically connected to what is within the 'Class II insulation', then that metal becomes an "exposed-conductive-part" (BS 7671 definition) and the item becomes Class I.

Kind Regards, John.

EXACTLY. That is the whole point we have been debating, and the reason I started this thread. Despite all the assertions about what what is Class I and what is Class II, you have at long last agreed with me that the sort of things I'm talking about to not actually fulfill the definitions of either.

That was my only point in starting all this.

Kind Regards, John

OK, after another trawl through the IEE CoP In-service I&T, I found this:

Chapter 11.2 (Notes), page 60:
"If an appliance with double insulation or reinforced insulation throughout has provision for earthing, it is to be considered to be a Class I or Class 0I appliance."

Note: no further distinction is made as to if the earthing is protective or functional.

As our laptop charger doesn't satisfy the definition for Class 0I (damn good job too), then Class I it is.

EFLImpudence: you seem to think that only items that have some metal on, but are double or reinforced insulated, can be Class II. Anything that is completely insulated cannot be called Class II.

Yes, you have gleaned correctly.

I could be wrong but that is what I deduce from the definitions.

Definitely NOT. I thought I had been very clear in saying that sticking bits of isolated metal on/around an item which would be Class II without the metal does not change the fact that it is still Class II.

If the 'outer metal' is in any way electrically connected to what is within the 'Class II insulation', then that metal becomes an "exposed-conductive-part" (BS 7671 definition) and the item becomes Class I.

Kind Regards, John.

Fair enough.

Chapter 11.2 (Notes), page 60:
"If an appliance with double insulation or reinforced insulation throughout has provision for earthing, it is to be considered to be a Class I or Class 0I appliance." Note: no further distinction is made as to if the earthing is protective or functional.
"Provision for earthing" what? If it is a totally insulated item, then (given that these 'Classes' are all about protecting 'outsiders' from risk of electric shock) it would seem pretty irrelevant as to whether or not anything from which an outsider was adequately insulated (i.e. to Class II standards) was 'earthed' or not. This is all very confusing!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, you have gleaned correctly.

I could be wrong but that is what I deduce from the definitions.

Again, from the IEE CoP:

Chapter 11.2, page 56
"Class II equipment may be insulation-encased or metal-encased.

Insulation-encased Class II. Equipment having a durable and substantially continuous electrical enclosure of insulating material that envelopes all conductive parts with the exception of small parts such as name plates, drill chucks, screws and rivets, which are insulated from live parts by insulation at least equivalent to reinforced insulation. The enclosure of an insulation-encased Class II appliance may for part or the whole of the supplementary insulation or reinforced insulation.

Metal-encased Class II. Class II equipment may have a substantially continuous metal enclosure with double or reinforced insulation used throughout."

"Provision for earthing" what? If it is a totally insulated item, then (given that these 'Classes' are all about protecting 'outsiders' from risk of electric shock) it would seem pretty irrelevant as to whether or not anything from which an outsider was adequately insulated (i.e. to Class II standards) was 'earthed' or not. This is all very confusing!

Kind Regards, John

Hence my comment about no further elaboration on the type of earthing.
Their outlook seems to be if there's an earth going in, it's Class I.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back