Classic dash-cam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I've recently been given a new dash-cam which I can plug into the cigar lighter socket on our daily driver, but I also want to use the 'cam in my '87 classic car. For some strange reason the power plug goes into the classic's original socket alright but the fit is like a p.... in a bucket. Have such basic things changed over the years & if so has anyone come across some form of adapter?
I do have a hard-wire kit but am concerned about messing with 30 year-old interior trim.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
And I assume that you don't want to change the cigarette lighter, but could you wire in an inline cigarette lighter instead.

Thanks for your reply Doggit but if I understand you right I might as well go for the hard-wire option anyway.

It's a fair way to go, but as it's an 87 classic, fitting an inline unit that you can plug into (and then remove easily as well), would cause the least disruption.

Sponsored Links
You can use something to pack out the fit of the plug in the socket. If you only do it on one side it will still make electric contact on the other. A bit of card will do the job.

The clip in a very old vehicle will be very worn, should be easy to replace or add a new one below the dash out of site.

I was under the impression an accessory socket rather than a cigar lighter was better for this sort of thing as they have a different construction. The cigar lighter does not have a full around the socket neutral connection whereas the accessory socket does.

Sorry folks, I'm a bit behind with my PC activities. I've managed to successfully wedge the plug into the classic socket with a bit of card. The hard-wire scenario is still under consideration - thanks to all who replied.

You might be able to stretch out the metal conductors on the side of the plug slightly to get a tighter fit (not too much though or you will break them). Nextbase do a hardwire kit that will work with dash cams that's use the most common mini-USB type plug which I can recommend. Available from Halfords and Argos but cheaper from Amazon ;).

Nextbase do a hardwire kit that will work with dash cams that's use the most common mini-USB type plug which I can recommend. Available from Halfords and Argos but cheaper from Amazon ;).

In fact I do have the Nextbase kit & a Halfords voucher for fitment as it came as a package with the 'cam, my hesitation is with messing about with (or letting Halfords do it) 30 year-old trim. I really must either bite the bullet & do one or the other.
Thanks for your reply.

Depending on your Dashcam, mine is nextbase and I used the hardwired kit - but the thing you need to think about is do you want it to come on with the ignition or just when you switch the camera on. My cigarette lighter power is always on so that was no good to me. I used a spare ignition live to feed mine so it comes on when I put the ignition on and off when I shut down the engine - there is a timer delay on the camera so it runs off its battery for a set time once main power is disconnected.

I suppose I have a classic in the garage too, 1970 but it has a dynamo that really is not built to power accessories! So the camera is only fitted to my "modern" car

1970 - definitely a classic, what do you have? I would have though that the small amount of power drawn by a 'cam would have been well within the capacity of a dynamo, after all many models in period had heavier consumers such as spot-lights etc.

I have the second car I ever bought! - A 1970 Mk3 MG Midget bought in 1974! - My Old man wanted me to get a new one at around £1000 but when I explained the insurance was going to be about that fully comp on a new one he was OK with second hand at the princely sum of £460 for the car and about £100 for third party insurance. Two year loan from my old man to buy it. All respective of course since my salary then was around £1000 pa and a pint of bitter around 18p
Petrol was just around 40p a gallon LOL. As a student I could put 3 gallons in my old 850 mini for £1. What shame prices aren't classic!

Last edited:
Too true! The cheapest I can recall petrol being was 4s 9d a gallon which is about 26p (?)
I was 19 years old & what is today referred to as a mini-cab driver in Romford Essex, driving Mk2 Ford Zephyrs - not the cheapest of cars to run (drivers had to pay for their own fuel & mileage but retained the fares & any tips) but those white Z's gave us bags of street cred! The cab firm also had a white Mk 3 Zodiac but only the governor got to drive that.

Sponsored Links
Back