Classic Slimline - FF350 - Pilot wont light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above boiler which has worked without issue until a couple of days ago when we started noticing a drop in water temp.

Upon inspection tonight noticed the pilot had gone out but when the water heating was switched on the fan kicked in and a clicking could be heard..I assume the pilot trying to relight.

I have followed the manual for about half hour repeating the same process, eventually getting it lit, now it has gone out again after about 10 mins.

The only thing I have noticed is there is reference to an overheat thermostat switch located on the right of the cpanel and to press this when the pilot goes out, this i understand in the manual should be "proud" if activated so you can "press" it, however it looks and feels like it is jammed - there is no movement in it at all to push in (although the switch housing feels loose..if that makes sense?..its a red colour with a cross on its head) and it sits semi flush with its housing...not sure if related but any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds to me as though the overheat stat has not activated so pressing it will have no effect what-so-ever.
I think you need a RGI as your problem seems to be gas related.

**Update**

Have tried again and timed it - managed to get pilot lit with CH and HW both on, lasted just over 6 mins then pilot and burner went out....it burned well and looked well lit with no distortion in flame height or colour (blue).

Does this still seem a gas issue? - the thermo cut out switch again did not move.

Does this help further?

It still sounds like a gas/combustion/safety problem. For obvious reasons we do not give advice to DIYers on these matters.

The obvious advice is to call a competent RGI.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
It may still be the pump, can you check the pump is spinning.

I have the above boiler which has worked without issue until a couple of days ago when we started noticing a drop in water temp.

Upon inspection tonight noticed the pilot had gone out but when the water heating was switched on the fan kicked in and a clicking could be heard..I assume the pilot trying to relight.

I have followed the manual for about half hour repeating the same process, eventually getting it lit, now it has gone out again after about 10 mins.

The only thing I have noticed is there is reference to an overheat thermostat switch located on the right of the cpanel and to press this when the pilot goes out, this i understand in the manual should be "proud" if activated so you can "press" it, however it looks and feels like it is jammed - there is no movement in it at all to push in (although the switch housing feels loose..if that makes sense?..its a red colour with a cross on its head) and it sits semi flush with its housing...not sure if related but any ideas?

Thanks

Fan running and a clicking noise is good...either there is an intermittent blockage in the temporary pilot section (nightmare) or more likely the gas valve isn't opening consistently. could be a number of reasons. This will need investigation with a meter for resistances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back