Classic (?) TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
14" Ferguson portable TV, good condition. So basic it has no remote. Cost about £200 in 1980.
Will it ever have any rarity value or shall I take it to the dump?

Sponsored Links
I still use mine. My satellite set top boxes give out an analogue RF signal and my BlueRay player has a converter box to make the output an analogue RF signal so I have two options with all the old TV's around the house. Until the valve goes, or as the US call it the tube, or in full cathode ray tube, they will still be used. When that goes then in the bin.

I'm sure it will be worth something in some years time. Mountains of TVs made in the 30s and 40s were smashed up as old rubbish many years ago, look how much they are worth now!

Sponsored Links
I am just about to dispose of a 30 inch ( diagonal ) CRT set. ( when I have the strength to lift into the car ) Extremely good picture, has out lasted several remote controls. But sadly it is too large to fit comfortably in the lounge. There is room in the bedroom but I wouldn't be happy with that weight on 500 year old floor joists.

Or it is free to a good home, adoptees to collect in north Bedfordshire.

A chap I know has a 9 inch CRT set which has been modified ( rebuilt ) to receive digital FreeView but in black and white 405 line display. Just the way TV used to be in the good old days

I suppose all the time I have the space to tuck it away in a cupboard I should keep it. Trying to get rid of my old rubbish.....

TBH, unless that particular TV is a landmark set such as the first with colour or the first with remote control or has a particularly sought-after design then I think you'll be waiting a long time for it to have any value.

Have a look on Ebay right now for TVs from the 70's; you're not going to see much in the way of big numbers for old tellies. Here's a Ferguson 14", 2 days to go, zero bids. Here's the same telly priced at £2 but unsold from a previous auction

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back