Clay Collar on Low Level WC, cut to ground or remove cement seal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Hoping to fit a new low level WC replacement. I will be buying a regular horizontal exit WC. Should I try removing the cement and keep the collar or should I use an angle grinder to take it down to floor level? With a cut back pipe what kind of plastic adapter will I need?

Thanks for your help
(clueless DIYer)
Mike

Attachments

• 84417848_255503589198931_2392771175894745088_n.jpg
    84417848_255503589198931_2392771175894745088_n.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 369
Sponsored Links
You want to break the cement out or otherwise cut it around floor level to something that the rubber fins on one of these will fit into:

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-2_20-43-34.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-2_20-43-34.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 367
Ideally you want a swan neck connector, otherwise your new toilet will be about 4 inches further forward than your current one, which may look strange.

You may also find that even with a swan neck, your new toilet can't be fixed to the same wall as your old one.

The above was certainly true in my bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Yep, had that before, boxed the wall out all the way to the ceiling, boarded + skimmed, looked ok.

I did it just above the height of the toilet, tiled it to match the wall tiles, and it was a useful shelf for the junk that seems to accumulate in my bathroom

Thanks for your responses. Do I need to put a flange on the cut rim of the clay pipe? Or perhaps a small adaptor like in the picture to which a pan connector can fit into??

Attachments

• DC1BL.jpg
    DC1BL.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 284
Difficult to say without being there, but I had a very similar set up and the pan connector fitted in the clay very well without an adapter.

I kept the collar for the retro style, so can't comment on that bit

I will be buying a regular horizontal exit WC.
You need to either buy the loo and have it on site or bring up the technical data sheet on a web page.
The wide mortar collar serves no purpose in any modern loo connectors. Pan connectors fit inside the bore in any case.
Your issues will be whether the pipe itself needs adjusting or whether you can find a PC to suit your loo. It could mean for instance positioning the loo further onto the room to suit the pipe etc.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the new toilet being too far into the room due to the ground soil pipe. I used a connector as vc23 recommended above.

Rather than box the wall out, I just cut a floating shelf out to accommodate the cistern - as my new loo had the sink in the top it worked out ok. I had the same manky pink toilet and carpet to start with too, so I wonder if you live down my street :)

IMG_4474.jpg
IMG_4473.jpg

Hey. That's pretty smart. I don't like that you have to go to the next room to clean your hands. Might look into this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back