Clay roof tile advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to get our large bungalow roof completely re-done with new felt and battens and new tiles. We need about 1500 tiles.

I prefer clay to the concrete tiles and the roofer bought round a couple of samples of clay tiles, one costing £3 each and one for £1.50 each, which were Koramic Modula (http://www.roof-stores.co.uk/product_23970_Modula+(was+Romulus)+Tile.aspx).

There's a huge price difference there and I'd like to understand a bit about the difference. Is it largely cosmetic? Is a more expensive clay tile likely to last longer or be stronger? Am thinking of going with the Modula ones, is this likely to be a good bet?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Without knowing what the £3 tile was couldn't tell you the difference, £3 is hellishly expensive for a tile TBH.

It may be worth looking at CDN (AKA Cortrai or Monopole) tiles, they aren't too expensive. If budget looks tight the Redland Landmark tiles may be worth a look also as they are coated and shaped to look more like a clay tile than a standard concrete and are not much more expensive

Sponsored Links
Clay should last twice as long as concrete, shop around there are plenty of tile manufactures with similar designs.

Clay should last twice as long as concrete, shop around there are plenty of tile manufactures with similar designs.

Thanks Catlad, I'm aware of the difference between clay and concrete. My question here is about the difference between these 2 models of clay tiles, the Modula one and the Bridgewater one. I'm trying to understand why the Bridgewater one is twice the price.

I do not know why it is more expensive than the other but let us know if you find out.

The reason why the Bridgewater is more expensive is that it is a tile created for a specific market in Somerset and Dorest to match a 50 year old tile produced by a manufacturer who no longer exists, it is has a tapered roll which adds to the manufacturing costs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back