Clay tiles on conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

We have a small (about 12 square metre) conservatory. It is hardwood and double glazed on dwarf walls and in sound condition.

We enquired about replacing the roof with an insulated "warm roof" using lightweight tiles.

We had a quote from a company using Britmet tile system. After a long winded process choosing the tile colour, they've since come back and said they can fit reclaimed Dreadnought clay tiles matching our main roof (1930s house).

This sounds good because it will look ace, but I'm pretty sure that's going to be a heavy roof. They said they could park their van on the roof because it's hardwood framed but I'm not convinced.

Plus surely this would be subject to building regs? Unlikely this would be approved?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The tiles would weight around 1000kg

Hardwood conservatories have smaller rafters than rafters on a house, I rather doubt they will be big enough

and as you say, it requires building regs on some elements like structure despite being exempt from energy efficiency

Even if its suitable its going to be very dark! Plain tiles need 35 degrees minimum pitch, Id be surprised if your conservatory had this as it was built for glazing.

Sponsored Links

1000011722.jpg
1000011723.jpg
1000011724.jpg

Photos attached. Plan was to mirror the existing roof shape, but bring the roof line slightly lower.

Not sure I would be wanting to keep that style wise, but then it would be a shame to get rid of it because it does look well built.

Not sure I would be wanting to keep that style wise, but then it would be a shame to get rid of it because it does look well built.
Yeah I agree. Basically we've got a baby on the way and this is the cheapest way to get some more space, as it's currently only usable 2 months of the year.

Personally I hate conservatories but it does look well built so it would be a shame for it to sit there unused or knocked down.

If you want the room to be warmer, it's not just the weight of the tiles to consider, you'll need insulation and plasterboard under that lot too.
Even then you'll have a room that has all the walls made of glass, it will still be costly to heat.

If you want an extension then put the money towards an extension, otherwise you'll be putting lippy on a pig and you'll end up with a crap extension that doubles up as a crap conservatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back