clean alloy wheels

Sponsored Links
Hello eaglebloke,have you tried soap and water!!! :LOL: forgive me for this, I couldn't resist.
regards johnwr

There are many aerosols on the market for alloy wheels. The foam sprays are good at getting the black dust off. Try Partco or Brown Bros. ( Factors to the motor trade )

Sponsored Links
Years ago I used to have Wolfrace wheels and use Duralit or is it Dualit (spelling?) cleaner then buff it up with white polishing disc & electric drill.

Don't know if you can still get them, they come in a small blue tin and like a cotton wool material and I think the orange tin was for brass.

Was that 'duraglit'? .. 'Brasso' impregnated wadding from which you pinched off a pieced to use.
I used that on Mo-bike aluminium two stroke engine .. got a great shine..
Still going strong .. Here and There
-------------------
I think we need something to remove that horrible tar like brake pad / disk/ road grime residue .. Is it worse now without included Asbestos in the pad material ??
I would go for a proprietry product as suggested, If the cleaner has phosphoric acid in it's make up, the wheels will be etched .. only slightly I am sure. ... Be nice to use a non acid based product .. if there are any good 'un's out there.
:D

Hello Eagleboke, I wouldn't touch alloy wheels with a barge pole, my better half would soon see then off!!!!. I used to work for a guy who's company car was a Saab fitted with alloy wheels and every time he went down the M1 he seemed to hit any debris on the road. They used to cost a small fortune to replace, where as steel wheels are much cheaper, anyway alloy wheels make you look like a "chav" :LOL: .

empip said:
Was that 'duraglit'?
:D That's the one :!: Haven't seen them for a while though unless they upgraded the colour tin and not noticed it.

johnwr said:
Hello Eagleboke, I wouldn't touch alloy wheels with a barge pole, my better half would soon see then off!!!!. I used to work for a guy who's company car was a Saab fitted with alloy wheels and every time he went down the M1 he seemed to hit any debris on the road. They used to cost a small fortune to replace, where as steel wheels are much cheaper, anyway alloy wheels make you look like a "chav" :LOL: .

Not being 'funny' But, I bought my car, new, near 7 yrs ago, commuted Mway and a good cross section of other roads 40 odd miles per day, never intentionally 'kerbed', seen all sorts laying on the road... Never hit my wheels tho... same five now as when new.
The reason I mentioned 'new' .. is this, my tyres wear very evenly across the tread ( tread depth measured with Vernier calipers ) Only had that condition twice before, Mini-CS and Healey, both with rebuilt suspension.
Mind you, we are a little more refined down here .. M1 debris? it's built of that isn't it? ':D'':D'':D'':D'':D'':D'':D'':D'
The conclusion is that the second hand motors I have owned must have had the wheels well battered, requiring track adjustment at first and perhaps second service etc. Sometimes tyre wear not really even after all that.... Treat it right and it will pay I say ... bit like the missus.

:rolleyes: Thanks for replys but we seem to be going off on a tangent here. Can we stick to some helpful advice from original question :rolleyes:

Looks quite simple... try a good make, the stuff isn't too expensive, probably not needed too often.
;)

just use a proprietory ally cleaner, they are acid based I believe.

Sponsored Links
Back