Alloy v Steel Wheels

Sponsored Links
i got my s/h 58 skoda 1.4 tdi level3... and it came with alloys with tyres 205 45Z R16 87W
the spare is steel and the tyre is... 195 55 R15 85H

i guess the alloys are really for "performance" you cant get from a steel irrespective of longevity and they look cool and dont need clip on trims...

my question from this is from that bit of checking ....is my spare a get you home tyre only...or equivalent to the alloy wheel tyre??

cheers
geof

As with all alloys, kerb them at your peril! Worth keeping an eye on the tyre fitter too.
John :)

and i have been told the special nut which you need the tool for can be broken when using air tools too aggressively
??

The spare is normally limited to a lower speed and there should be a yellow sticker on it. At least you haven't got a skinny spacesaver. The locking wheel nut key is best used with hand tools .

Sponsored Links
If you had the 15 inch 195s alround your car would probably accelerate a tiny bit quicker. I noticed a 5kg per wheel weight increase going for larger rims. Since it’s rotating mass that’s 40kg.

Which tyre/wheel combination would have the bigger rolling radius? That would affect the acceleration.

There is only 3 mm of difference in the od of the tyres, so that shouldn't be a problem: your alloy tyres are rated to 168 mph , whereas the steel tyre is "only " good for 130 mph, so both tyres are sufficient to transmit the power of this roaring beast to the tarmac and since the latter is a normal tyre, I don't see why there would be any restriction.

What the legal position is on this I don't know, either from the point of view of mixing alloys and steels on one axle or mixing different wheel-sizes, even though the o.d. is identical ( within wear-limits )

Dave Herns

Since the spare is an absolutely normal tyre, do you believe it would have a sticker on it ? This care could, after all, be fitted with four of these and be absolutely legal ( this is an assumption. I don't actually know how/if tyres are homologated to a car apart from the speed and load requirements )

The spare is normally limited to a lower speed and there should be a yellow sticker on it. At least you haven't got a skinny spacesaver. The locking wheel nut key is best used with hand tools .

thanks...i will take it out to see if the sticker is there

when i bought my 62 kia rio level 2, it has alloys, it came with a can of sealer to do one pump up for a puncture...
i eventually bought a skinny wheel on ebay but didnt go the whole hog and get a steel wheel
they look strange when on a car...
cheers
geof

Which tyre/wheel combination would have the bigger rolling radius? That would affect the acceleration.

the smaller rolling radius would act as gearing so giving the engine more revs for the same speed?
acceleration is the change in speed per second so i reckon 0-60 may take longer with a smaller wheel for the same acceleration..the gearing would give higher revolutions for the same speed
it would depend on what part of the power curve was used...and the cars gears
:confused::rolleyes:

There is only 3 mm of difference in the od of the tyres, so that shouldn't be a problem: your alloy tyres are rated to 168 mph , whereas the steel tyre is "only " good for 130 mph, so both tyres are sufficient to transmit the power of this roaring beast to the tarmac and since the latter is a normal tyre, I don't see why there would be any restriction.

What the legal position is on this I don't know, either from the point of view of mixing alloys and steels on one axle or mixing different wheel-sizes, even though the o.d. is identical ( within wear-limits )

Dave Herns

Since the spare is an absolutely normal tyre, do you believe it would have a sticker on it ? This care could, after all, be fitted with four of these and be absolutely legal ( this is an assumption. I don't actually know how/if tyres are homologated to a car apart from the speed and load requirements )

that does clarify my thoughts...its a get you to a tyre dealer to repair your alloy wheel tyre...
my 51 golf had the spare unused till i sold it in 2017....
the tyre dealers said it was illegal since it was over 10 years old...i always fitted 4 new tyres as they wore out quite similarly...the original were continental but i could get michelin on discount at costco...filled with nitrogen!!
cheers
geof

Last edited:
and i have been told the special nut which you need the tool for can be broken when using air tools too aggressively
??
I haven't experienced a wrecked locking nut on tightening but they do appear damaged from time to time on arrival :eek:
Irwin do a pretty good removal tool.
I have had bother with Land rover wheel nuts though, they seem to be covered with a thin metal sleeve and they rust beneath which swells the nut so the socket doesn't fit anymore. Hell off a nuisance :eek:

I haven't experienced a wrecked locking nut on tightening but they do appear damaged from time to time on arrival :eek:
Irwin do a pretty good removal tool.
I have had bother with Land rover wheel nuts though, they seem to be covered with a thin metal sleeve and they rust beneath which swells the nut so the socket doesn't fit anymore. Hell off a nuisance :eek:

well i was told to check that when it goes in for tyres by the chaps on the skoda forum that the fitters go easy or use hand tools...
the sleeves on this model are plastic and they even do a tweezer tool to remove them, but i tried a very fine electrical test screwdriver and they levered off ok...(as a trial as the chaps/skoda forum say to remove them before putting the car in for tyres)...we are a fussy crowd i know..
cheers
geof

Sorry I can't post a link Geof but I use this ebay tool - 250761031574. Bloomin good buy too. Those wire pullers scratch the wheel and the plastic tweezers don't always work.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Back