Cleaner put neat soda crystals down bath plug hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cleaner put neat caustic soda down the bath plug hole without fully dissolving in water. The bath is now completely blocked. I'm assuming the soda has compacted or reacted to create a plug of some sort. What can I do to unblock?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you're sure it was caustic soda, not washing soda crystals (which many domestic cleaners use)?

Caustic soda suggests that there was already a blockage that needed to be cleared.

Have you tried trickling hot water down with a kettle?

If caustic, protect your eyes from any splashback or bubbling.

Its says on the packet caustic soda. I have tried hot water but still no luck. Can I pour vinegar down the hole? Is that safe?

Under no circumstances add vinegar to caustic soda.

Either hot water and see if it slowly dissolves or the trap will have to be removed - whoever removes it needs to be aware that it contains caustic soda

Sponsored Links
Pouring caustic soda crystals into a drain with a water trap can end up with a solid plug of caustic soda. The first crystals react with the water and produce enough heat and steam to fuse the rest of the crystals into a solid lump. The heat can be enough to damage plastic pipes as well as "welding" the lump to the wall of the pipe.

Two options

1) remove the and replace the pipe work

2) if possible push a hose pipe into the pipe from the drain end as close as possible to the blockage. Connect the hose to the tap and use water to dissolve the plug.

Either way wear alkaline resistant gloves and and goggles and be aware that nixing water and caustic soda can create a lot of heat.

A friend of mine who runs a cleaning company had to pay out about £1500 when one of his cleaners used a chemical supplied by the customer to clean the cooker!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back