Cleanig newly exposed chimeny breast bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks ,
I have exposed my chimney breast bricks and used a wire brush attachment on my grinder to clean the worst off as you can see in the before and after pics.

Before

After

I was wondering if there is anything else i can do to clean them up before I start to do some pointing work. Also I am wanting to keep the exposed brick look and wondered if there is anything I could paint the wall with. I was thinking some kind of clear matt varnish ?

THanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Noseall. I would email them first to make sure the heat from the cast iron stove i'm going to put in there wouldn't cause any issues either.

Are there any other chemicals I can use to clean up the bricks and bring out their natural colours ?

A solution of spirits of salt and water will help bring off any cement stains.

Sponsored Links
You could try a brick cleaner called DISCLEAN you will get it in most builders merchants also use a kidney brush when you apply the cleaner to the brickwork. It will work it right it to the brick. You will have to do it a few times for it to work. Then wash of with clean water and leave to dry. You can seal the bricks with a PVA called SBR it looks as if the bricks where never touched with anything and will not be harmed with the heat from the stove. Hope this is of help to you. S/S :)

One thing that has just occurred to me is that washing the bricks off is going to flood the lounge! Do you know is a gentle dabbing / wiping with a wet sponge will do it ? Or do they have to be properly washed off ?

Sorry i should have said to just wipe the dirt from the bricks with a sponge. Try not to push the dirt back into the bricks as you wipe it off. It is better to have 2 buckets of water by your side take the heavy dirt off with one and then wipe clean with the other. It will take a few goes to get it to lift from the bricks. :D S/S

rub the existing bricks with another brick that has been soaked in water. It will gently rub away a lot of the crap. saves all the nasty chemicals etc

i agree with Thermo, avoid using hydrochloric acid, (cement, brick or patio cleaner) in this instance as you may need copious amounts of water to neutralise it.

sbr is not pva but their applications are similar.

Arghhh , lol. I hate it when there are conflicting opinions!

Anyway, I am planning to repoint the stack. The fillets between teh bricks at the moment are a light grey colour, and probably as old at the house (150yrs). What type of material should I use to re point so it matches? I am guessing cement will dry a darker grey colour.

if you are not happy with local sand then use a mortar dye. personally i would use a mixture of local sands and cement rather than something as artificial as a dye.

mix it 4 sand 1 cement.

thoroughly damp the brickwork first by splashing water onto it with a brush. allow the excess to dry off then re-point. ensure a minimum rake-out of 15mm.

NO ACID.

if you are not happy with local sand then use a mortar dye. personally i would use a mixture of local sands and cement rather than something as artificial as a dye.

mix it 4 sand 1 cement.

thoroughly damp the brickwork first by splashing water onto it with a brush. allow the excess to dry off then re-point. ensure a minimum rake-out of 15mm.

NO ACID.

Understood. Cheers .

put it this way box cleva. my dad was a brickie from when he was a boy just after the war. they didnt use chemicals like that then. takes a bit of patience but it works very well. If in any doubt try a little bit before you go using all the chemicals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back