Cleaning black grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm completing a house renovation and have a problem with discolouration of black grout on a wet room floor. I completed the wet room a couple of months ago and the floor got covered in dust with all of the rest of the work going on. I vacuumed and cleaned but the grout has gone white/light in areas.

What would be the best way to restore the colour to the grout?

Presumably I should seal the grout once I have it all cleaned up and looking good again?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
7d

Sponsored Links
Can you use some more black grout just for re-colouring, i mean just literally rub it over and sponge it off, and then seal, not sure if that's the right way but it just popped into my head.

Whats the tile ?

Reason i ask is that you can use a cement residue remover like Lithofin Cement Away and a emulsifier pad to take a very thin layer off the grout but you have to be careful depending on the tile material as its a mild(when diluted properly) acid so some surfaces like limestone dont like it.

Sponsored Links
Don’t whatever you do attempt to re-grout without raking out or you will be back again within months as it will most liklely all flake off. Follow TPT advice to clean off crap, then stain if you have to & seal.

in that case my suggestion should be fine. make sure you dilute as specified by the manufacturer and test and little bit on a tile first.

its quite quick too if you use the suggested pad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back