Cleaning Black Tiles - Large streaks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to clean a newly tiled bathroom with large slate style (but think they are ceramic) tiles.

They are slightly pitted design and these are covered in white streaks, from dust etc

I have bought some tile cleaner and scrubbed this with a brush and rubbed down after with a damp cloth to clean.

When wet the tiles come up black, and look clean - the minute they are drying the big streaks come back!!

Is there anyway around this? I've done this 3 times now and still when it dries they come back!

I'll try and upload a pic[/img]

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's not permanent staining, clean water is usually the best but "Windowlene" spray & just a wipe it off with kitchen roll will get rid of streaks - seriously, I use it on my balck granite tiles :LOL:

Thanks - yes this isnt permanent staining ...

Its just that our ceramic tiles (to look like slate) are slightly pitted, so once the dust is in there its hard to remove...

I think it maybe grout residue being picked up by the cloth or brush and wiped across the tiles... thing is you cant see this when its wet!!

I'll try windolene and see if they are gone tommorrow

Update:

Streaks still there, looks almost like sand across the tiles, but white streaks.. pretty sure this is residue from the grout being spread across?

Think I will try with just hot water now, after using the solution and windolene...

Sponsored Links
Would a steam cleaner get rid of this?

I have asked the company and they seem to think this maybe salt that comes from these slate/ceramic tiles

Is there a quick way to get rid of this?

A tile sealer might do it but try it on a small area first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back