Can't clean tiles after bathroom refub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had my bathroom refurb done including new tiles. Once the bathroom was complete we did not clean the tiles as there was other work happening in the house. We have just got around to cleaning the white tiles, but there are so many marks still visible on the tiles and it looks like trovel marks - it may be grout.
I've tried to scrub it off with bathroom cleaner, but it just won't come off. Any suggestions please?

IMG_20200209_212959_1.jpg

Sponsored Links
put something in your pic to show scale

also stand back and show the whole wall.

Maybe try a window scraper? - plastic tool with a sharp blade in. Used for getting paint etc off windows. Should be ok on smooth tiles.

Sorry all the tiles are like this. It's hard to show in pic. Here are some more pic.
Scraper will not work as it's like almost stained.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1581292192868..jpg
    1581292192868..jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 405
  • 1581292222290..jpg
    1581292222290..jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 392
  • 1581292241785..jpg
    1581292241785..jpg
    56 KB · Views: 397
Sponsored Links
Have you buffed all the tiles with dry coarse cloth? A must to remove any bloom.

I have never seen that before. I wonder if the wrong tile adhesive was used and that something is leeching out through the stone tiles. Marble is quite porous and should be applied with adhesive that is designed for stone tiles. Those adhesives are typically white and rapid drying to prevent the risk of the adhesive bleeding through the tile. AFAIK you should never use grey adhesive.

Have you asked the tilers what the marks are and which adhesive they used? If you know where the tiles were purchased you could try asking the supplier.

Although marble tiles should be sealed prior to grouting, I don't think that the marks are the result of grouting. You don't use a notched trowel to apply the grout, you use it apply the adhesive.

Sorry, I hope I am wrong but it does look like the tile adhesive has bled through. I don't know if it is possible to rectify the problem.

I sincerely hope that other forum members can help you. If not it might be prudent to go to a dedicated tiler's forum and ask for advice their.

Hi, thank you all for your replies.
I was putting away the extra tiles packs from the refub (6 new packs), that have been sitting in the garden covered. Some of these packs got wet and dirty. I decided to have a closer look and to my surprise, these tiles also have this strange pattern on them. So this had nothing to do with the adhesive but more a manufacturing fault\defect. It's been months since I bought theses tiles, but will contact the suppliers and see what they have to say. I will keep you updated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200308_110232.jpg
    IMG_20200308_110232.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 321
It’s a plastic type / buffer that is on the tile face to stop them scratching , it was on our Tiles , I used a window scraperlike in the Pic , it cleans them up nicely

Cheers

Phil

Attachments

• 3486A619-1286-4D68-839D-982DDCFB4F6A.png
    3486A619-1286-4D68-839D-982DDCFB4F6A.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 307

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back