Cleaning Bricks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive stripped back some walls in my old house and need to clean the brick work, is it better to use a Wire cup attachment on my angle grinder or a non when preparation wheel ?
Cheers
Ric

Sponsored Links
I presume the aim is to leave the bricks exposed - i.e. as a natural decorative finish. In which case wouldn't mechanical wire brushing damage the surface - and the appearance? I'd try brick acid first, with a stiff hand brush.

wire brushing isn't very abrasive but it can leave discoloration on the surface as the bristles wear - literally metal from them can rub off on the surface. This may or may not be noticeable and may or may not clean off - try on an inconspicuous patch first (like, behind a cupboard)

There are other types of brush materials that can be fitted to grinders/drills that may fare better - a lightly abrasive sponge type of material perhaps. It depends on the current look of the bricks, what theyre made of and the desired look.

Ultimately sand/bead blasting might give the best results - messy, but home kits are available if you want to DIY

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the reply. I ended up going for a Non-woven preparation wheel and an angle grinder. Worked really and quick too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back