Cleaning brown stains off a wood burner front glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s the quickest way to remove brown stains off a glass door on a wood burner, I find that you can do it with great effort with a kitchen sponge (the ones with a green non scratch thing on)

many ideas ?

Sponsored Links
I had an oven that collected a brown coating on the glass window, I used a razor blade type scraper, get the angle right and it comes quite clean.
Another option is to wipe it with caustic soda solution, but do not let it dry on! leaves a residue that is difficult to remove if you are not careful with it, it also tends to destroy your gloves/trousers/fingers too.

0000 grade wire wool may help as it will not scratch glass.

As mentioned I dip a damp bit of newspaper into the ash and scrub, then buff with a dry sheet.

Sponsored Links
I do it with a damp bit of kitchen towel and ash from the fire. Works really well.

Ash and newspaper is traditional method.

Definitely try this first - it’s what we do, costs nothing and comes up a treat,
Scrunch up a sheet of newspaper, dip it in some warm water then dip it in some ash from the fire.
Scrub away and marvel at the results!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back