Cleaning brushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty basic question this but i seem to having problems cleaning an oil based B and Q value undercoat from my brushes.
The new white spirit ive bought doesnt seem to be absorbing the paint any more. Its as if they have changed the forumlation of the white spirit by removing the solvent (health and safety BS perhaps). Anyone else found this? Taking an age, and looks like im going to have to chuck away brushes.
Ta.
EDIT doh it appears the undercoat is water based. No wonder its junk!

Sponsored Links
It's junk because it's b&q value. Water based undercoats are high quality if you buy decent quality like Bedec or Mcphersons or any Trade version of a product. Also you don't use white spirit or paraffin on water based paints you use water, it's in the name. If it is oil based however and you've bought it from b&q which I'm guessing you have, then again it will be poor. Try a trade centre, or builders merchant like Jewsons, they will have white spirit in with some actual strength and is cheaper than B&Q white spirit

Sponsored Links
It's junk because it's b&q value. Water based undercoats are high quality if you buy decent quality like Bedec or Mcphersons or any Trade version of a product. Also you don't use white spirit or paraffin on water based paints you use water, it's in the name. If it is oil based however and you've bought it from b&q which I'm guessing you have, then again it will be poor. Try a trade centre, or builders merchant like Jewsons, they will have white spirit in with some actual strength and is cheaper than B&Q white spirit

This is nonsense, I'm afraid.

First, any oilbased paint (regardless of quality) can be removed from a brush by using white spirit, just as any water-based paint can be washed out with water.

Second, white spirit is white spirit is white spirit; you do not get different 'strengths' or qualities of it. The stuff they sell in B & M for £2.99 is the same as the stuff in B and Q or Jewsons or anywhere else.

Third, there are some proprietary cleaners on the shelves (BioSpirit?) which claim to clean oil-based paints off brushes AND be environmentally friendly. They don't work, except on water based paints, which you don't need a special cleaner for anyway.

Finally, some paints (such as the 123 red Zinsser tin) are not oil or water based and you need to clean the brushes with meths.

Paraffin left overnight for oil based. Soapy water for water based. White Spirit is a very poor brush cleaner which is why they sell turps.

Paraffin left overnight for oil based. Soapy water for water based. White Spirit is a very poor brush cleaner which is why they sell turps.
Out of interest where do they sell it?

My wife was looking for it weeks ago & all she found was "turp substitute" everywhere.

The funny thing was, when you looked at the ingredients on the back, it was exactly (& i mean EXACTLY) the same as the white spirit ingredient list.

I used some oil based undercoat & white spirits nor methylated spirits would touch it. Bought something labelled "brush cleaner" from my work which just about shifted it.

Second, white spirit is white spirit is white spirit; you do not get different 'strengths' or qualities of it. The stuff they sell in B & M for £2.99 is the same as the stuff in B and Q or Jewsons or anywhere else.

But there are a number of "white spirit substitutes" that are designed to clean brushes but cannot be used as a paint thinner.

BTW, Zinsser BIN is shellac in alcohol- household ammonia will break the paint down in minutes, overnight or longer if the brush has hardened. The brush can then be rinsed in clean water. Once the ammonia has evaporated the shellac pigment just sinks to the bottom of the container and can be poured down the sink (with no mess). Meths just dilutes the paint.

The only brush cleaner that has every impressed me was the Dulux Trade Brush Cleaner and Renovator, unfortunately they don't seem to make it anymore. I still have some left from years ago but seldom clean brushes since discovering the BrushMate containers (which if topped up will keep brushes wet indefinitely).

Out of interest where do they sell it?

My wife was looking for it weeks ago & all she found was "turp substitute" everywhere.

The funny thing was, when you looked at the ingredients on the back, it was exactly (& i mean EXACTLY) the same as the white spirit ingredient list.

I used some oil based undercoat & white spirits nor methylated spirits would touch it. Bought something labelled "brush cleaner" from my work which just about shifted it.

B&Q sell paraffin.

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garde...Q-Bartoline-Premium-Paraffin-4-Litres-9415188

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back