Emulsion over kitchen grease

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has moved to a house where kitchen grease has evidently splashed over a kitchen wall.

After removing as much grease as possible with white spirit, then touched up with oil-based undercoat, then emulsion - the grease has eventually bled through again.

The plan now is to clean with methylated spirit, and use oil-based Zinnser BIN, before emulsioning.

Anyone have any better ideas??

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd go with the BIN.

For the record white spirit is rubbish at removing grease, meths is much better and isopropyl alcohol is even better.

If they want a really durable finish, they could get the BIN tinted and do away with the emulsion.

Do not use a mini foam roller to apply the BIN, if will expand to twice its length and go floppy. I use short pile mini Wooster or Purdy sleeves (both brands use the same diameter sleeves but you have to buy a Wooster or Purdy mini roller frame).

Spend a couple of quid on regular household ammonia to clean the brushes and rollers. Ammonia is alkali and completely breaks down the shellac in BIN. Before discovering ammonia I used to use BIN with cheap brushes in the expectation that the meths that I was using as a "brush cleaner" would leave me with a usable but knackered brush. Ammonia stinks so leave the kettle with it in outside over night. The ammonia will evaporate off and leave you with water with "dust/pigment" in the bottom. AFAIK it is OK to pour it down the sink.

I have painted a few of rooms using BIN as the finish coat. The finish is as smooth as eggshell but more matt. On one occasion I did opt to wear a charcoal filtered face mask because of the smell, which is ironic given that the agent released is just alcohol, and erm, I like alcohol. The smell is completely gone after an hour or so though.

Thanks for that. Not really encountered such a greasy kitchen before as far as painting goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back