Cleaning off recent residue wallpaper paste from walls before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I papered my room with lining paper, then decided to take it all down and prepare to paint straight onto the walls. I did give the walls a wipe down with cold soapy water and when that dried I gave them a coat of watered down PVA. Once the PVA had dried I filled in areas of the wall and sanded the walls down. Though on a second cleaning I can still feel a slimy residue when wet.

Just wondering what the best ways to get the paste off are? I've been reading hot water is good along with a separate bucket of soapy water to clean. Should I still give it a coat of watered PVA afterwards just to be safe? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Major error with the PVA:

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/mist-coat-or-pva-bare-surface-basics.425261/

You could have saved yourself a lot of work, and any potential issues, by using Zinsser Gardz to seal in the old paste residue. The product is designed for that job and gives a perfectly sealed and stable surface to paint directly onto. It my still be a good idea to use it on top of the PVA, although when I contacted Zinsser about using it for that job, they couldn't guarantee it would be successful.

http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/gardz/

Should have sugar soaped after removing the paper, and scraped as much of the glue off as possible with 2 washing downs with the sugar soap. Then a coat of Guardz and then paint.

Now you have a bit of a situation with no guaranteed solution except sanding all the PVA off, or re-skimming

Zinsser Gardz and carry on. I don't think the pva will be an issue if you coat it it with this.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, yeah feel a bit gutted putting all that PVA on now :( I think my best bet is to give the walls a good sanding and a coat of Zinsser Gardz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back