Cleaning pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

When I clean out the U bends, apart from the accumulated hair, etc, there is a nice layer of black gunge / algae growth. I can see this is also in the parts of the pipework that I can see.

So it is save to assume that all the under the floor pipework leading to the downpipe, also has a nice algae growth.

I know about the bi-carb and vinegar deal, but as this pipework has a slight slope, that will just flow away before it has a chance to clean the pipes. I would try my pressure washer with the drain cleaning attachment, but as that blows backwards, it is not smart to use it from within the house!

Is there a way to clean it out? Some kind of bottle brush on a very flexible rod?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
Leave well alone unless broken is my opinion.

Certainly wouldn't be using anything mechanical or pressurized.

Why is this a problem? Its a drain, they are dirty by nature....

It is not as such, a problem. But if when new, the pipes aare clean, and over the years, gunge grows / builds up, why will it not continue to grow with the rich food supply that it is constantly being supplied.

Generally not. The flow of waste water (etc.) is usually enough to knock new growth off the walls.

Sponsored Links
Drain jetting nozzles always blow backwards, (although you can get Nozzles with forward facing jets for certain applications). Idea is, it propels the jet along the pipe, and then draws the debris back to you as you pull the nozzle back through the pipe. Should always pull back in direction of flow unless completely unavoidable.

Is there a way to clean it out? Some kind of bottle brush on a very flexible rod?

I have a simpler and more certain method....

I made and adapted my pipes, so the far end was removable so a bung could be placed in the end. The sink, wash-basin, bath etc. can be topped up with my favourite cleaner, which can then be left overnight to soak - with a suitable warning note on the tap. Next day, at arms length, I remove the bung and run.

That is a great idea and I wish I had thought of that at the time of building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back