Cleaning pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Rekusu, 6 Dec 2021.

1. Rekusu

Rekusu

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What ho one and all,

When I clean out the U bends, apart from the accumulated hair, etc, there is a nice layer of black gunge / algae growth. I can see this is also in the parts of the pipework that I can see.

So it is save to assume that all the under the floor pipework leading to the downpipe, also has a nice algae growth.

I know about the bi-carb and vinegar deal, but as this pipework has a slight slope, that will just flow away before it has a chance to clean the pipes. I would try my pressure washer with the drain cleaning attachment, but as that blows backwards, it is not smart to use it from within the house!

Is there a way to clean it out? Some kind of bottle brush on a very flexible rod?

Thanks and toodle pip

2. Sponsored Links
  3. BlueLoo

BlueLoo

Thanks Received:
    Ireland
    Leave well alone unless broken is my opinion.

Certainly wouldn't be using anything mechanical or pressurized.

Why is this a problem? Its a drain, they are dirty by nature....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rekusu

Rekusu

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is not as such, a problem. But if when new, the pipes aare clean, and over the years, gunge grows / builds up, why will it not continue to grow with the rich food supply that it is constantly being supplied.

5. oldbuffer

oldbuffer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Generally not. The flow of waste water (etc.) is usually enough to knock new growth off the walls.

6. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Drain jetting nozzles always blow backwards, (although you can get Nozzles with forward facing jets for certain applications). Idea is, it propels the jet along the pipe, and then draws the debris back to you as you pull the nozzle back through the pipe. Should always pull back in direction of flow unless completely unavoidable.

7. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a simpler and more certain method....

I made and adapted my pipes, so the far end was removable so a bung could be placed in the end. The sink, wash-basin, bath etc. can be topped up with my favourite cleaner, which can then be left overnight to soak - with a suitable warning note on the tap. Next day, at arms length, I remove the bung and run.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rekusu

Rekusu

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That is a great idea and I wish I had thought of that at the time of building.

9. Sponsored Links