How do I clear gunged up sink drain pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bottle trap type sink drains fitted which I've removed and cleane but the plastic drain pipes are also gunged up as well.

Is there and solution I can try to dissolve and flush the gunge away?

The house is 26 years old.

Sponsored Links
what i do is disconnect pipes from the down waste pipe & from sink wastes ,take the whole pipe assembly out to the garden & flush through with a hose , disconnect some of the bends in the pipes to give it a good flush , i always have fresh rubber seals ready in case i get waste leaks under sink , it's amazing how much gunk forms in the pipes, dirty job but worth the bother

All the pipe work joints are glued so no go with the removal.

Perhaps a pressure washer blasted through the pipe although that would mean removing the pottery column on the one in the bathroom.

thanks folks!

Sponsored Links
Surely the traps are not glued to the wastes? It should be possible at least to remove the traps for cleaning and for recovery of lost earrings, teeth, nose jewels etc.

It's a disgusting job but worth doing every couple of years as long as you remember not to tip the filthy water back into the sink....!

I normally use boiling water (straight out of kettle) and Fairy Liquid.

We have an air pump drain unblocker as well, fill sink with hot water and give it a few blasts with that while it's draining (hasn't disturbed the pipework to date!).

Gasbanni, I take it your question is tongue in cheek? Giving a DIYER a litre bottle of acid is not a wise thing to do.

Andy

Why not acid?

Because this is what happens when acid reacts with the contents of plastic pipework.

The swept tee in the second photo used to be vertical - the pipework melted sufficiently to allow for a 180° rotation.

The service cupboard (containing this pipework) was sprayed to a height of around two feet with the acid and the fumes inside the cupboard were unbelievable.

oneshot2.JPG
oneshot3.JPG

Don't chuck fat down the sink if it's kitchen. After that a correctly installed pipe run should be ok, if the run is long or convoluted consider up sizing to 50mm.
Regarding unblocking we had success with that biological Tesco one where you chuck it in and leave all night, but ifof course 3 months later beck to square 1. But the real fix was making sure the pipework didn't rui uphill any more.

Suppose I can find some kind of solution that can dissolve the gunge.

I block the pipe drain exit and pour the solution in to fill the entire pipe and leave it over night and flush out the next day?

Just need to find the right solution I suppose.

Gasbanni, I take it your question is tongue in cheek? Giving a DIYER a litre bottle of acid is not a wise thing to do.

Andy

I didn't think of that ! I thought there were other reasons you were saying not to use it...... I've used O.. S... numerous times in situations where nothing else could have been used due to access and had sucess every time.

I don't recommend customers use it, it's pretty dangerous stuff.

Because this is what happens when acid reacts with the contents of plastic pipework.

The swept tee in the second photo used to be vertical - the pipework melted sufficiently to allow for a 180° rotation.

The service cupboard (containing this pipework) was sprayed to a height of around two feet with the acid and the fumes inside the cupboard were unbelievable.

View attachment 136056 View attachment 136057

The first image is odd it looks like the swept t has come apart at a joint as the break line is clean, it looks like one part was recessed in to the other, never seen a tee come apart like that.

O.. S... can't be used on urinal pipes that's for sure !!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back