Cleaning porc saniware... can't use bleach!? Any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I occasionally carry out plumbing work for a commercial entertainment company. The usual... blocked loos, dripping taps, kapput circ pumps etc etc. They have a problem with tide marks in WC pans but they are not allowed to use bleach (H&S doesn't allow it) Any ideas???

Ta very in advance!!! :D

Sponsored Links
have been told coca cola works, but hav't tried it myself, don,t drink the stuff

Ask H&S what you are expected and allowed to use in replacement for the commonly used cleaning product then.

Have you been provided with a written copy of the H&S policy, or is this one of those vague rumours?

Demand a copy. You must be provided with it if you are expected to follow it. I have my doubts that it forbids use of bleach. I will not be surprised if it specifies safe handling of chemicals.

Sponsored Links
Google COSHH, pretty sure all the other companies in the world aren't breaking that by using bleach

I know that it sounds ridiculous. But even the cleaners are sent on courses about how to use a vacuum cleaner. Apparently they have to fully uncoil the extension lead and hoover towards the socket outlet. They can see the lead and wont pull it out of the socket and shout at people to take care stepping over the cable. I had to attend a course on safe use of 6 foot step ladders... even tho I regularly work at height and play at even greater heights. The people who clean the beer lines use equally or even more aggressive substances.
Thanks for the responses folks.....

Bleach doesn't remove the cause of the tide mark - use a descaler insteasd

The location is Mannsfield so I spose scale could be an issue. I'll bear that in mind thanks.

I know that it sounds ridiculous. But even the cleaners are sent on courses about how to use a vacuum cleaner. Apparently they have to fully uncoil the extension lead and hoover towards the socket outlet. They can see the lead and wont pull it out of the socket and shout at people to take care stepping over the cable.

Sounds sensible - at least doing the vacuuming that way, not going on a course. Would take about 5 mins to tell a cleaner to do that.

Apparently it isn't the bleach that is the issue in itself. The cleaners are supplied with latex gloves. Cleaning and flushing thru to dispose of the bleach would nominally suffice. But even 3 4 5 6 7 litre flushes wouldn't dispose of allo the bleach. (you know.... curry night before and floater issue!) It's the addition of other chemicals that would interact with bleach and give off noxious fumes. Health and saftey and duty of care issues regarding mixing chemicals is the issue. So, when I light up a ciggy and the smoke alarm doesn't go off, but when I solder a joint and the smoke alarm goes mental I have to make sure that I inform the monitoring agency to temporarilly disable the alarms.... lest the FB come a charging... sirens ablazing!

Not that I ever ever light up in the building... that's not allowed... after all nicotine and fumes (nasty) I'm a social lepper....

Sponsored Links
Back