Cleaning up after fould drain blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Long term lurker here and I have a great first time post :)

As the title suggests, having moved into our first home, our first problem has been a blocked drain. Have had a guy it to unblock it which has left a hell of a mess in the surrounding area of the inspection chamber i.e. back garden, all over the pebbles of the path to the garden and the path leading down the side of the house. Doesn't smell great either (was a foul drain blockage...and boy was it foul...first time I'd seen anything like it).

What's the best thing to do with cleaning this up? Was told to let it dry up and then sweep whatever was left up and bin it. Just wondering if there anything else I can/should do? The smell around there is still quite strong (hasn't been more than a few hours yet so no suprise I guess) but want to at least be rid of the smell as quick as I can. Feel more sorry for my neighbours having to put up with the smell should they open their back windows!

Any advice/tips would truly be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can wash it onto the garden, ferocious microorganisms will break it down and gobble it up.

If you can fork over the surface on a dry day, that will speed it.

Sponsored Links
Interesting, so I should TRY and wash it into the plants? Funnily enough I was trying to avoid that, but it would makes sense now that you mention it (thinking of compost, manure etc). I was worried about spreading it everywhere.

And then should I just bleach the concrete/stones?

Thanks all, just waiting on a garden hose to arrive for the pressure washer.

Not heard of jeyes fluid, guessing that's for the stuff that isn't going near the plants?

To be honest, the drainage engineer should of had a clean up for you.

Andy

Didn't know if that's typically what they should do at the time. In hindsight, that's probably why he was cheaper than the rest!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back