Cleaning UPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI everyone,

Am sure everyone must have had this issue but for the life of me, I haven't been able to find out how i can clean, hide the dirt and plaster stuck in the corner of my window. Also, there's some existing stuff thats been stuck and i've tried sugar soap, white spirit, UD40 and permutations and combinations of all this but haven't been able to get rid of it.
Should i just put some caulk on the corners ?
I've attached a photo that might explain the problem I have.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Attachments

• IMG_20160413_082419.jpg
    IMG_20160413_082419.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_20160413_082526.jpg
    IMG_20160413_082526.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_20160413_082533.jpg
    IMG_20160413_082533.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 359
Sponsored Links
Sorry, the pics aren't too clear.. Is the plaster all along the depth of the edge of your window frame? I wonder why it's so deep? If it is, apart from carefully scraping it off, painting is all I can think that would hide the dirt.
The dirt in the bottom corner, is it on existing caulking? A bit of bleach can sometimes help with that if you've not already tried.

Any really dirty stuff we get on our windows, we use this stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/uPVC-Clea...Door-Frame-Plastic-Cleaner-x-12-/301220982971
We bought a bottle off the window fitters when they did the house, it's excellent stuff but stinky!
Good luck :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
hi
Thanks for the advice.
The dirt in the bottom corner is not on top of caulking. Its a gap that i've seen exist on other upvc windows, but let me give your product suggestion a try.

as for the windows , its not he plaster as that came off quite easily with white spirit. I think its the residue glue from some fitting the previous owners had put on the windows. This still exists. I'll try and take a better photo tomorrow in daylight.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Ahhh.. fair enough.
The stuff I put a link up for gets rid of glue too, so we've found. The window fitters used it to wipe of the sealant when they'd finished and it was impressive. It's acetone which is great to get rid of glue but it didn't make the plastic dull after use.

Use nail varnish remover, you can get a bottle in the pound shops. It contains acetone and will remove glue from plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back