Cleaning wood before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve sanded down the window boards (ended up using a hot air gun and scraper, then sanded over). Need to fill some cracks and gaps. Will sand after that too. What should I use to clean the wood from dust after vacuuming?

American sites talk about mineral spirits but in the UK we have white spirit or methylated spirits. Or should I just use a damp microfibre cloth?

Sponsored Links
Traditionally you made a "tack rag" with a little white spirit on a non-fluffy cloth. For a water-based paint it would have to be thorougly dry though, so you might get more dust by then. Meths works and is much quicker to dry. You might pass out though :). You can also buy tack rags - no idea what's on those.
Anything with water will raise the grain, so no to that.
But a thinned coat of acrylic primer, if you were going to use water based anyway, is very fast to put on, shows any irregularities, and will be dry in minutes. Flatting that off with fine fine paper should give you a sealed, smooth surface to go from. A bit fussy but very quick and satisfying.
Use a woodflex filler - though the boards will move and reopen cracks eventually.

But a thinned coat of acrylic primer, if you were going to use water based anyway, is very fast to put on, shows any.
Use a woodflex filler - though the boards will move and reopen cracks eventually.
Thanks. I ended up using a microfibre to clean as much as possible and then painted a couple of coats of acrylic primer undercoat. Looks good so far. I did use ronseal 2-part wood filler. Hope it works okay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back