Clear film on oak wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was recomended to purchase a self-adhesive film for my newly fitted oak floor which would help protect it whilst the builders were still working on my house.

I purchased a clear film off the internet which has left a sticky residue! This has collected lots of dust and I cannot seem to wash it off. I have tried washing up liquid, white spirit and all it seems to do is spread the glue and dust over more of the floor.

I am hoping that there is an easy solution other than sanding down the floor again and re-oiling as I used 2 tins of hardwood oil and that cost me approx £100 not mentioning the backache and the sore knees!

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear this
Just a question though: how long after you applied the hardwaxoil did you seal it off with the film?

Hi WoodYouLike

Thank you for your reply.

I left it over the weekend before I layed down the protection film.
Should I of left it longer?

Yes, best would have been - as would or should have been mentioned on the tin - 10 days or more. The hardwaxoil needs that time to cure completely. I know it feels dry after 10 - 14 hours, but that's not enough to cover it with any thing.

Now I fear the HWO has been trying to cure, found this film in the way, started 'sweating' and reacting with the film. Light sanding IMHO is the solutions. Or someone else must come up with another solution?

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for your reply..

It looks like the the hardwax oil has hardened well it's just the adhesive left by the protection film which I cannot get rid off.

I rechecked the tin and it has a drying time of 4-6 hours. Is this incorrect and 10 days is more correct?

The builders have tried numerous tricks to remove the adhesive but to no avail.

I have an expert coming on Tuesday to have a look at the floor and see what he can suggest.

I will keep you posted!!

I rechecked the tin and it has a drying time of 4-6 hours. Is this incorrect and 10 days is more correct?
Tin is correct, the hardwaxoil is dry after 4 - 6 hours. Dry enough to walk on, but the hardwaxoil takes 10 days to cure completely in order for rugs and other items that lay on the surface to be placed onto it.

Hi

Just thought I would post to let you know the outcome of the visit by the wood flooring expert!

Even though the clear film was laid down before the hardwax oil had completely dried yes it does take upto 10 days to dry (Why don't they put that on the tin) that wasn't the problem. luckily the hardwax oil was hardened enough so the adhesive didn't peneratrate it, but the problem was the adhesive from the clear film being left on the floor.

What we have to do is use a snap off stanley blade and very carefully cut into the adhesive and slowly rub it off the floor. I then need to re sand the floor with 120 grain sand paper!

I have managed to do a 1/4 of the floor and now know what my weekend will entail.

The floor expert also said that you should be careful using self adhesive protection film's as in my case the adhesive was far too sticky to the job. it would of been perfect for protecting chipboard or concrete.

He advises people to use a company called Packexe www.packexe.co.uk as they have multiple protection films for different surfaces.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Even better always is to leave the installation and finishing of a wooden floor as one of the last jobs to do.

After the floor has been hardwax oiled would you recommend anything else to go onto the floor ie wax?
If so what wax would you recommend?

Thanks

We always recommend any wood floor has a regular maintenance regime, starting 4 weeks after the floor has had its original finish. Even varnished/lacquered floors need maintenance, to keep the finish and wood healthy and protected.

You have the choice between hard wax or wax-polish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back